PDA

View Full Version : April 10-11 at Hallett

ASGTO
04-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Is anyone going to attempt to stop the master (Wheeler) from driving around for a win at Hallett next weekend? :D Seriously......Who is going?

jackmartin
04-05-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm out. Engine guy had a mild heart attack. Back at work in 5 days but on light duty work. Rear end is about done and front suspension is ready to go together.Maybe MAM in two weeks.

fairlane_68
04-05-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm out too. In the middle of building a autocross Fox Mustang, while building custom tube bumpers for some folks, not to mention that my insurance and mortgage got paid all at once. I'm hoping to make HPT in May or June.

jkopp
04-05-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm hoping to make HPT in May or June.

In AS in your car?

I'll be at Hallett... but my car won't. :( Hoping to make the first race at HPT but things are up in the air. You gonna make HMRC Chris? Looking forward to getting back to the track regardless!

fairlane_68
04-05-2010, 11:34 PM
In AS in your car?

No...I'm hoping to have my car there--not the AS car, the other one. Maybe do a PDX, but mostly just to get off my ass and out of the house for a while. And I'm supposed to do a out-of-region event to get my division tech license.

Ted Johnson
04-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Rough numbers at this point.

Jim Wheeler 1.24.5 (1.24.7 is the track record)
Chris Brannon 1.27.1
Bill Tucker 1.27.5
Ruggerio No time.

Jim had not driven the car with the new brake setup until yesterday practice. Pedals, mc's, superlite rear calipers, and while he is still getting used to it (brake feel is very different from power brakes) hes under the track record. Glad we got the math right on all this, and he is very pleased.
His lap time above was in traffic. Theres more time in the car. Hes only 3 seconds off of Mike Mcginleys t1 lap record. Its always been an approximate 5 second gap between a top T1 vs. AS car at hallett.

Race this afternoon.

jimwheeler
04-12-2010, 10:12 AM
I did three laps in qualifying, the third being several tenths under the track record. I am glad I did not do a fourth, as the left rear caliper fell off the car when I gave the the yank test, while changing tires for the race. I must have been distracted when I finished the installation of the new brackets, etc, as I, obviously, failed to torque the bolts properly. The top bolt was gone and the bottom bolt fell out when I yanked on the caliper. Better to be lucky than good.

Since we have been moved out of the group that has T1 and GT 1, the ASedans were out front.

I got a great jump on the green, hit a good shift and tapped the brakes, to set the car for turn 1. As I turned in, I caught a flash of red in my side mirror just before Brannon drilled me. Depending on who you talk to, Tucker hit Brannon, who hit me, or Brannon hit me and then Tucker hit him. Andy Wolverton was right behind, with video, so maybe we can get him to post it somewhere.
Behind us a couple of SMs got together and Charlie James went hard into the tire wall. He may have a broken hand. We did a couple of laps under double yellow.
When the green came back out, I got another good start. After several laps, I couldn't see Tuck and Chris anymore, and I settled in to a good rhythm for the rest of the 25 laps. Chris and Tucker passed and re passed each other several times.
The final was the 3 AS cars 1,2,3 overall.

wheel 1:25.877
tucker 1:25.921
Chris 1:27.073

The CRB took 150 lbs off of the GTO and, given that he was not running Hoosiers, his time is right there. The Hoosiers are worth one or two seconds per lap.

ASGTO
04-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Wheeler described it it spot on. I got a really good start and was on Wheelers 7:00 o'clock going into turn one. I planned to tuck in behind him thru turn one and see what happened after that. My brakes work good but they won't stop two cars. I got some rear bumper lovin', shoved forward and grazed Wheeler 's left rear with my right front. (Using the word "Drilled") was a little strong as in had a small amount of rubber mark on my wheel and no marks on Wheeler's car. My rear tow hook was folded down toward the ground and and the spare tire well which is 8" in front of the rear bumper cover was bent in.
Wheeler checked out with clean air and able to hit his marks one wide instead of the two wide Tucker and I were doing. Tucker was better on the straights and 1/2 of the corners......I was better under breaking and the other 1/2 of the corners. We raced nose tail, side by side and every other combination cleanly the rest of the race. We swapped positions 4 or so times and gave each other room. I would pass him under hard braking followed by tight corners. My car felt great. The car was better for longer into the race with the weight off. I wasn't much faster if any going down the straights but the tires lasted longer than 5-8 laps. Wheeler was right about my tires too. I told him I was using up my Kumho's because I have them and new Hoosiers tires for National races just isn't going to happen. I would run the Hooier at the Runoffs though. At Hallett the difference is 1.5 seconds. That would put me within a second of Wheeler's race time. I am happy with that. Fun weekend ! Great to get in the car and see everyone.

jimwheeler
04-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Ok, Chris, it felt like a pretty hard hit, and it did knock me a bit sideways. Fortunately, I started to counter steer a fraction of a second before the hit, so no big tank slapper. The left rear wheel is a bit bent, but as far as I can tell, the big heavy 9" floater is none the worse for wear. Also, on your math....
1:27.0 minus 1.5 seconds is 1:25.5, which is .3 under my lap time, not "within a second" of my time. Maybe you use the new math. :driving:

ASGTO
04-12-2010, 02:06 PM
My bad. I was looking at your race time and thinking of your 1:24.5 qualifying time. Bottom line is my car is where it should be. The Ford 9" was the one component that I could never tear up in my drag cars.

Danny"TheKraken"Richardson
04-12-2010, 04:24 PM
sounds like you guys had fun! :cheers:

Ted Johnson
04-12-2010, 05:42 PM
I got some rear bumper lovin', shoved forward and grazed Wheeler 's left rear with my right front..

AND what happened during the race....:thumbsup:

jimwheeler
04-12-2010, 06:17 PM
Yeah, the 1.24 was almost empty of fuel, on a coooool morning, on fresh A tires. On the third of three laps. Never happen the way conditions were in the afternoon.
wheel

ASGTO
04-12-2010, 07:33 PM
I have some nice in- car video I will post up when I get some free time to down load it.

ASGTO
04-12-2010, 07:37 PM

After turn one , lap one the entire race was clean.

ASGTO
04-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Yeah, the 1.24 was almost empty of fuel, on a coooool morning, on fresh A tires. On the third of three laps. Never happen the way conditions were in the afternoon.
wheel

agreed! So when my broke ass can aquire some good rubber......it should be a good show.

Great job on the win BTW.

jkopp
04-12-2010, 09:35 PM

Don't worry Ted, I got it. ;)