PDA

View Full Version : Sebring- SARRC

Walther
10-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Things I learned @ Sebring…

1) Hoosier Tires are the bomb!!!!!! I used some two cycle VIR take-off’s from Tom E and the grip is far better than Kumhos. I had to really push the car hard to get the grip to break loose, and then it was predictable and manageable.
2) When Chuck Dawson makes a suggestion…LISTEN!!!! I’ve been trying to get more front bite forever and took a big swing at the problem this past weekend. Hoosiers, more camber, and a lighter front bar. Chuck gave me a formula for my car months ago and I didn’t heed his advice then. He watched my car going through 4 & 5 and said I had too much roll in the front. So I changed the bar Sunday morning and I finally got the car to go where I pointed it, each time. :bowdown:
3) Andy Wilkin should be a driving coach. (When he is not winning the CFR Championship) Andy took me up to the embankment overlooking turns 4 & 5 and pointed out the fast line, and it worked. The next time out was the first time I was able to accelerate for the hairpin without running out of track.
4) Every racer should have a friend like Scott Seifreit. It was the first time Scott and I were able to race each other. I took the pole @ a 1:20.3 (respectable for a rookie, according to Chas Dawson) I was battling an over-heating gremlin after taking off at the green flag, and Scott didn’t laugh at me when he passed me after 20 minutes for Saturdays win. I had to come in early and watch “Old Faithful” sprout from my overflow bottle in impound.
So, having learned from his graciousness, I didn’t gloat (much) when I held him off for Sundays win. My first ever. :thumbsup:

A great weekend with good friends. :cheers:

jimwheeler
10-20-2009, 06:55 AM
Congratulations. There is nothing like that first win. Isn't it great when you make a change, in the car or your driving, and it results in a big improvement?
wheel

Sean #40
10-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Well done! That club course is fun when you find the fast line.
And Chuck is a mine of information.

tellis#51sediv
10-20-2009, 12:46 PM
Walther,
Great job! Chas is right that is a very respectful time. Been a long time since I have ran the short course but I do remember in the beginning running 1.23's. Chuck is a wealth of knowledge , but just don't let him try and tell you how to put the shifter back on the tranny!

KW78
10-20-2009, 06:15 PM
But the SCCA stickers on my car say "Club Racing", not "Pro Racing". This is a hobby, and it is supposed to be fun. I got into SCCA because there was no prize money, and it was supposed to be a "club" enviroment.

:thumbsup: Don't look now but we TOLD you it was worth it!! :laughing: :laughing:

Congrats on first win, and a great weekend....

:cheers:
Cheers,
Kyle

Walther
10-20-2009, 07:51 PM
:thumbsup: Don't look now but we TOLD you it was worth it!! :laughing: :laughing:

Congrats on first win, and a great weekend....

:cheers:
Cheers,
Kyle

If your going to make me eat my own words, you could at least give me a beer to wash it down. :cheers:

The "pro built" motor actually performed flawlessly, I had the power to blow the doors off of (2) GT2 cars at the Green Flag. The afore mentioned overheating was on a day it NEVER should have happened. (Highs around 70) I should never have bragged about how cool my car runs. Chuck, Chas, Scott and Andy all have ideas on what the problem might be. I'll fix it one way or another in time for the Turkey Trots in November. Except for that and some small cracks in my Wilwood rotors... I don't have anything to fix!!!

Dawson Motorsports
10-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Fixing small problems is great. Better than the last time.
Congrats to you and Scott both. See what bringing me a 12 pack everytime does for you.
Chuck

Walther
10-21-2009, 11:58 AM
See what bringing me a 12 pack everytime does for you.
Chuck

It's the least I could do for all the help you've provided :cheers:

My wife was telling me about some HUGE, nice young man that helped her tie down my canopy when the wind picked up and I was on the grid. Turns out it was Chas. She asked if everybody was the polite. I said sure, just give 'em beer!!! :thumbsup:

Sean #40
10-24-2009, 06:49 PM
It's the least I could do for all the help you've provided :cheers:

My wife was telling me about some HUGE, nice young man that helped her tie down my canopy when the wind picked up and I was on the grid. Turns out it was Chas. She asked if everybody was the polite. I said sure, just give 'em beer!!! :thumbsup:
Cha's is not huge he is well built like me.

Walther
10-24-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm 6'2 & 265 (ish ;) ) Chas dwarfs me. His arms are the size of my legs. I'm just glad he's friendly. :thumbsup:

Dawson Motorsports
10-25-2009, 12:58 PM
I'm 6'2 & 265 (ish ;) ) Chas dwarfs me. His arms are the size of my legs. I'm just glad he's friendly. :thumbsup:
Most of the time he's pretty even tempered. But you should have seen him at RA's steward office.:mad: It could have gotten ugly, like the "Hulk" going through a travel trailer.:eek: It took him days to calm down.
Chuck

jimwheeler
10-25-2009, 01:38 PM
Now, what on earth could have caused him to become stressed in the steward's office, at the Runoffs?

koscieldrk
10-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Most of the time he's pretty even tempered. But you should have seen him at RA's steward office.:mad: It could have gotten ugly, like the "Hulk" going through a travel trailer.:eek: It took him days to calm down.
Chuck

Not Chas, he's nothing but a BIG Ole Teddy Bear! :D