PDA

View Full Version : June Sprints Tidbits

kevinc
06-10-2009, 11:50 PM
Some brief updates on next weekend's June Sprints:

- Thanks to Eric Prill and Con Peplowski - we will have live timing and scoring for the June Sprints, beginning with practice on Friday morning. The web address is http://www.livetiming.net/SCCA/club/livetiming.asp.

- The June Sprints will be televised - GoRacingTV.com will be taping all of the races for later broadcast via their website.

- There will be a live radio broadcast on WLS AM 890 out of Chicago from 8-9AM on Saturday morning (like last year).

We'd like to thank everyone who made the above possible. However, we REALLY thank you - the competitors. Without you, we have no race.

Kevin Coulter

t4wallace
06-11-2009, 08:36 AM
We'd like to thank everyone who made the above possible. However, we REALLY thank you - the competitors. Without you, we have no race.
:grouphug: Actually Kevin, without the workers and the people that make covering our sport possible, the racers have no racing. At least not as we know it today. :bowdown:

See, there is a reason to use the group hug smilie. Who knew?

smithpr
06-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Guys:

That's great. I am looking forward to the weekend. Lots of good food in Elkhart and a wonderful track.

I hope the car is good.

Philip

King Matt
06-11-2009, 01:41 PM
It should be a great event for everyone entered. I'm looking forward to being up there Saturday as a spectator. I think the only people who are less than thrilled are the regional guys like me who have to sit out the whole month of June because there is not a SINGLE regional race scheduled in CenDiv, GL, or MiDive the ENTIRE month of June, presumably because of the Sprints pulling all of the entries. There are nearly 500 cars entered!

wre46
06-11-2009, 04:08 PM
It should be a great event for everyone entered. I'm looking forward to being up there Saturday as a spectator. I think the only people who are less than thrilled are the regional guys like me who have to sit out the whole month of June because there is not a SINGLE regional race scheduled in CenDiv, GL, or MiDive the ENTIRE month of June, presumably because of the Sprints pulling all of the entries. There are nearly 500 cars entered!

Most regional guys qualify for a NAT license...Come out and play!

King Matt
06-11-2009, 06:28 PM
I looked into it, but by the time I pay for a waiver and ANOTHER license fee, which adds up to $115, I decided to wait til next year to upgrade to a National license. If I could have just paid the difference between the regional fee I just paid in January and national fee, I probably would have done it, but I just couldn't justify paying over $200 in licensing fees this year. Still scratching my head on the whole regional vs. national thing. Doesn't make a ton of sense to me yet.

nomics
06-12-2009, 01:11 AM
I'm one of those regional guys making my first June Sprints. I'm prepared to get my butt kicked but I always wanted to do it. I blew a motor into little pieces a few weeks ago so I'm scrambling to make it happen. See you guys there.

wre46
06-12-2009, 12:50 PM
I'm one of those regional guys making my first June Sprints. .
Make sure you stop by and visit! My parking space is upper Paved Space 3-4

smithpr
06-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Brian Wallace and I are going to be in the upper paved spots 35 and 36 please stop by.

Philip

t4wallace
06-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Brian Wallace and I are going to be in the upper paved spots 35 and 36 please stop by.

Philip
What he said...

nomics
06-12-2009, 08:47 PM
I'll stop by and see you guys. I did the gear change today and the car is back on 4 wheels and has a motor. Theoretically it should move under its own power, which would be nice! I'll be in competition paddock across from the gas station. See you next week.:thumbsup:

Ted Johnson
06-15-2009, 02:34 PM
You guys will be rubbing fenders with some Speed GT and Touring car regulars.

Toby Grohovec TSX Acura??
Peter Cunningham in his TSX Acura in STU
Bob Woodhouse Comp coupe Viper STO
Jeff Courtney Comp coupe Viper STO
Tony Rivera Porsche GT3 STO

Should be some awesome racing going on in your run group.

Can an AS car with the new motor package outqualify Peter Cunningham who holds the track record at a 2:26:445?
IN A NISSAN SENTRA in 04.

Speed GT record is a staggering 2:14.551 in an Audi RS6 in 04.

smithpr
06-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Ted:

Should be pretty interesting. I have been thinking a lot about how fast the new motored A/S cars will be. Current track record is in the low 2:31.xx and this will be shattered. A good qualifiying time should be high 2:27.xx, I am not sure that 2:26.xx is possible. Our cars are too heavy.

Philip

King Matt
06-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Good luck to everyone who is at the Sprints (and probably won't see this!) Hope to be up Sat. or Sunday spectating if the weather is decent.

jimwheeler
06-19-2009, 03:31 PM
First practice is under way.
Phil Smith
Rich Jones
Tom Ellis
Jeff Werth
Brian Wallace
Mike Lavigne
Tom Sloe
Chris Pederson
Matt Regan

Nine cars on track

http://www.livetiming.net/SCCA/club/livetiming.asp?width=1024&Class=AS

King Matt
06-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Shouldn't you be running, Wheel?

jimwheeler
06-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Economics and no spare engine kept me out. Also, the clutch went at MAM and the tranny had no syncros left, so it is in being rebuilt, since I had to take it out to replace the clutch. Just too much of a chore to get it together in time to go. I hated missing it, but it will be better for me in the long run.
wheel

thomas toth
06-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Where is Andy McDermid and Fred??????

Tom
#38 Camaro

jimwheeler
06-19-2009, 04:44 PM
My guess is that they won't run until it counts. Andy really doesn't need practice at RA to be fast. He might have had to work today. First Q session is tomorrow at 10:55.

Jerry Post
06-19-2009, 10:17 PM
So, did PSmith run his 2:27??

jimwheeler
06-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Smith 2:32.724
Jones 2:33.162
Ellis 2:33.769
Werth 2:34.678
Wallace 2:35.210
Lavigne 2:36.670
Sloe 2:38.797
Pederson 2:42.887
Regan 2:51.279

wheel

jimwheeler
06-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Andy's on provisional pole
http://www.livetiming.net/SCCA/club/livetiming.asp?width=1024&Class=AS

Sparky
06-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Stay Tuned.....

Nice run Andy! Seems like the one to beat.

Should be an exiting day tomorrow with another session of Qualifying and the race in the afternoon.

Good Luck everyone!

KW78
06-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Hey All,

Good luck, drive hard, but don't shortcut anything about the car or your gear... Bad accident this morning in another class :(

And hey, someone beat Andy!!:D Well not a camaro tho...:cheers:

BTW, I can't get SCCA timing to work at all, followed jim's link too...

Kyle

Ted Johnson
06-20-2009, 03:31 PM
Hey All,

Good luck, drive hard, but don't shortcut anything about the car or your gear... Bad accident this morning in another class :(

And hey, someone beat Andy!!:D Well not a camaro tho...:cheers:

BTW, I can't get SCCA timing to work at all, followed jim's link too...

Kyle

The accident involved EP driver Tom Thrash. Details on the main website
http://scca.com/newsarticle.aspx?hub=1&news=3668

King Matt
06-20-2009, 07:36 PM
I just got back from the track and had no idea that happened. I was helping David Venhous work on his Mustang during that session, so I didn't realize there was a serious incident. God speed.

When I left Andy and his crew were pulling theengine to switch oil pans.

PbFoot
06-20-2009, 09:30 PM
My deepest simpathy for the Thrash family. I have raced with Tom for years and the news just does not want to sink in. Tom is such a great driver that driver error seems unlikely, but I don't know if he had any RA experience. I'm going to say a little prayer for the safety of all tomorrow.

jimwheeler
06-20-2009, 09:36 PM
In the Midiv, EP runs in the same race group with ASedan. We have been on track with Tom dozens of times at Hallett, HPT and other tracks. He was always very very fast. I didn't know him, personally, but he seemed like a real nice guy, every time I talked to him. All our thoughts are with his family.

jericker
06-20-2009, 11:03 PM
Wow, terrible news. My brother drives an EP Fiat 124 in the SW division and was very good friends with Tom. My brother talked about how much he and Tom's dad helped him with stuff at the track. I just forwarded the link to my brother, I suspect he doesn't know it happened yet. Good luck to the rest of you out there and be safe first.

King Matt
06-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Sloe and Jones cracked into the 29s in Q2. Smith at a 30.8. Looked like Andy took a warm-up lap and parked it.

Sparky
06-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Nice job Tom! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Looks like Andy is still having issues. Only made 1 lap.

Two Victory engines in front row of AS. Great job Tom Sloe and Rich Jones.

Sparky :ciao:

jimwheeler
06-21-2009, 12:25 PM
Looks like the top 5 are:
Tom 2:29.617
Rich 2:29.933
Andy 2:30.344
Phil 2:30.891
Brian 2:31.701

Sparky
06-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Is there any radio coverage via internet?

This looks like it's going to be a great race to listen to if we can't watch.

Good Luck to all the drivers :D

:auto: :auto: :auto: :auto:

socalta
06-21-2009, 05:14 PM
what are the car makes and head type?

Sparky
06-21-2009, 05:21 PM
(3) Fords, (2) Chevys

Sloe & Jones both have aluminum....

Sparky
06-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Sloe
McDermid
Smith

Looks like it was also a good battle for 4th thru 6th.

Werth
Ellis
Lavigne

:cheers:

Mark Allen
06-22-2009, 10:45 PM
OK, it's been a full day. Anyone have a detailed summary of the race, qualifying, power comparison, issues? The rest of us (especially those of us stranded in South Korea on business trips) are dying to know...

Mark

KW78
06-23-2009, 12:30 PM
YEAH!! A play by play from some participants would be great for those of us who errantly chose to sit out.... I hope I never miss another race... Of course I'll have to get my other wish of winning the lotto....

Anyway, all I've been able to hear is that camaros blew 5 every session, and Tom Sloe should have been black flagged for 4 off everywhere on purpose .... NOT MY WORDS BTW!! These were from a T2 crew guy....

SO?! Anyone?

Kyle

jimwheeler
06-23-2009, 12:54 PM
The Camaros blew five what? Or should I say whom?

fairlane_68
06-23-2009, 06:57 PM
OK, it's been a full day. Anyone have a detailed summary of the race, qualifying, power comparison, issues? The rest of us (especially those of us stranded in South Korea on business trips) are dying to know...

Mark

hey pick me up some Maxim instant coffee will ya? That stuff is great.

Now, Camaro's did what?

jkopp
06-23-2009, 07:05 PM
camaros blew 5 every session

I got it:
What Kyle is saying is that the Camaros are now making so much HP that they were unable to make Turn 5. How much clearer does he need to make it? ;)

jimwheeler
06-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Well, he could have said it like you did, instead of talking about blowing people.

t4wallace
06-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Sheesh, it's like a bunch of impatient racers post here or something. Stay tuned for our update. Busy getting the work done that didn't :censored: get done while I was "playing" this weekend.

I will neither confirm, or deny, that the Camaro blowing 5 was orange. Or #8. The video camera, mysteriously, has nothing recorded.;) And it wasn't b/c of all that newfound power (or weight).

Not sure if Rich Jones comes here or not, but we sure hope the car is "easily" fixable.

brad-tsr
06-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Sheesh, it's like a bunch of impatient racers post here or something. Stay tuned for our update. Busy getting the work done that didn't :censored: get done while I was "playing" this weekend.

I will neither confirm, or deny, that the Camaro blowing 5 was orange. Or #8. The video camera, mysteriously, has nothing recorded.;) And it wasn't b/c of all that newfound power (or weight).

Not sure if Rich Jones comes here or not, but we sure hope the car is "easily" fixable.
Rich is lurking here somewhere but will not likely comment. A bit frustrated at the moment. However we are making serious plans to have the car repaired quickly. It's in the diagnostic stage right now and we should know by thursday if it's "easily fixable". Car struck concrete barrier moving it just enough to catch the end of barrier #2. Thats the one that removed the right front suspension, fender, door, and peeled the quarter panel. The damage from the contact with the Corvette on the left side is mostly cosmetic. Unibody is virtually undamaged. The suspension absorbed alot of the impact. The driver is walking around with some bruises. (second time this year) The car was just repaired after being on its side at Nelson a few weeks ago. A real shame! The car was working very well after some adjustments. There's a win somewhere for that car.
Brad

wre46
06-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Was that the car that was playing with the corvette between turns 5 and 6? I just missed the nose of the vette as it wwas coming back accross the track. Was nice to see cars behind me for a race. Andy D was back there for 1/2 lap. He will race you close and clean. I finally had fun at a race. Hope to see some footage at goracingtv.com

t4wallace
06-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Anyway, all I've been able to hear is that camaros blew 5 every sessionThere is absolutely NO proof that the car was always orange or #8. At least that I'm aware of.

Kyle -- it's only slightly more tolerable being there and not racing. Actually, it's worse. Much worse.

As stated previously, we ran AL heads. First Sprints for us and we sure learned we were way short on brakes, even with the "new" package. That had us scrambling during the test day until first Q session. Thank you to Philip for the rotors. That solved 50-75% of the problem. He certainly did not have to help us. But he did. :bowdown:.

We needed all the brakes we didn't have to even have a prayer of running with Sloe during the race. That led to our eventual return visit to the 5 runoff area (Brian is now a VIP member) during the race. That's where the free brats were Andy. A cracked/broken header parked us after the yellow/black flag all for the T1 motor failure (Buttermore).

My Perpsective (not Brian's)
The race was entertaining to watch. And while Brian briefly led from Canada corner to 100 ft. short of start finish on lap 1, it was only because Sloe made a mistake. He was quickly back by up the hill and never looked back. We slid back thru the field as the brakes (and eventually the header) gave up. Andy, Philip and Rich put on a good show with Jeff Werth and Tom Ellis not too far behind. And after returning from getting another brat in 5, Brian had a spirited battle with Lavigne before the header finally dealt the death blow right before the caution.

We got to meet Jeff Werth, catch up with Tom Ellis and hang out with Bill Shep. and Philip. And the car went in the trailer -- on its on wheels. Better than being at work. Not that any work got done while I was gone. :censored:

BTW - no judgment here, but what happend to Rich Jones after the restart seemed whacked from where I sat (T5 stands). I only saw 2 corners of 4 miles, but why a lone T1 wants in the middle of the AS fight for the lead is beyond me. Good luck in the repairs.

tellis#51sediv
06-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Tom W, Brian, Phillip,Tom S, Rich, Andy, Jeff, Mike,
Had a great time seeing everyone and meeting new AS drivers. What an awesome track! Had a few car issues ( brakes and rocker arm stud coming loose) but bottom line is that I need to learn to driver better. Certainly need more track time at Road America. Following Brian in qualifying till my rocker arm stud came loose showed how to go fast at RA. Problem is that I need to grow some bigger ones. Anyway, had a great time and look forward to seeing everyone again at the Runoffs. Jeff, I know you have been frustrated at the past races so was great to see you run well at RA. Great Job! "AS" rocks and what a great group of drivers.

Tom E

smithpr
06-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Guys:

I agree that A/S rocks and the people in the class are great. Thanks to Bill Scheppergardes (sp?) I had a great time. :bowdown: Bill was kind enought to share some insights with me. The car was solid and ran every session as long as I wanted. It was great hanging out with all the A/S drivers and the Wallace Clan.

It took me a while to get up to speed and I started to feel pretty good about the track sunday morning. The car was very good I just needed to drive it a little harder. Did a very nice couple of 2:30.xx which I thought was good but Sloe and Jones did some smoking 2:29.xxs.

I was fourth and got an ok start. Andy has some issues that seemed to get better as the race went on. Tom took off and it was off to the races. I chased Rich and tried a move going into 3 but never got the pass completed so I had to wait. The big crash then happened and we sat around for a long time. When the race started I got set up by Andy and had no hope. Raced hard till the end and got a nice 3rd.

I was shocked by Rich's crash going up to 6. I have no idea what the vette was thinking. :mad: Hope it gets better quick.

Looking forward to the Runoffs, it should be a great time.

brad-tsr
06-24-2009, 08:17 PM
The fact that the Vette was in the middle of that is just so pathetic we never even talked about it on the ten hour drive home. The video shows him actually moving left in the brake zone to block. Rich went around him the long way only to have him turn into Rich on the uphill. We were encouraged to throw paper at the guy but did not.
Parts are ordered and the car is in the air.
Brad

wre46
06-25-2009, 09:45 AM
I got a first hand view of the Corvette/Camaro incident as I was trying to avoid the cars as they came back across the track. I was having my own battle holding off a T1 BMW that passed me going into turn 5 under a standing yellow and then GAVE me the position back between 5 and 6 when he realized what he had done. He knew he was in the middle of the 2-6 AS battle and played nice. I know Tom Ellis had a GOracingtv.com camera in his car and we may get to see the footage of the AS/T1 issue in a few weeks.

As for my week, I got to test the Kitty Litter in Canada (going in backwards due to excessive wheel hop) on the Thursday Test day and in turn one on First Qualifying session. I was told by my crew chief to erase my driving techniques of the GT-5 era and a 1860 lb car. He was right. I was beating myself up all Saturday night and things got even worse when I tried to knock myself out with the rear deck lid of my Suburban when trying to close it. Saturday night/Sunday AM morning was spent lying in bed with a concussion. I went to RA medical first thing Sunday morning to get checked out and I was cleared to race. I felt stupid that I did it, but glad I was not suffering any lingering effects. We ran strong on 2nd qualifying and I felt we could run good for the race.

For anyone who thinks they have the best brake system, rethink that for RA. it takes finesse and a watchful eye to keep them working for a full 13 laps. We used up a set of rotors and pads and were very happy with the results. Our Gear box is finally working right (Thanks to Richard at G-Force South) and our shocks did not lock up (long story, Tom E knows my race history). We missed the setup slightly but I know what we need to change. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened if the race went green the entire distance.

As for the race itself, I was always in traffic. AS cars all over in ever turn. Andy McD car was right next to me going down the stretch between 3 and 5 and all I heard was his motor. That was so cool, but I almost missed my braking point into 5. During the race, I modified my line and shifted differently then qualifying. I was very consistent, but still need to pick up a few seconds. I can't wait to get my new motor as this one now has 25 weekends on it.

I know a few folks went to the CRB town hall meeting. IMHO, it was a joke. It started late, was poorly run and this is the second time I have gone to a meeting that had no real leadership. I waited around for an hour to finally plead my case for some changes in AS. I had one of the cams from Isky that wiped out the lobes in just a few pulls on the dyno. This is the 4th cam failure on the dyno. We worked closely with Isky and Comp to diagnosis the issue and came to the conclusion that the camshaft location in the block was incorrect due to core shift. I pleaded my case to run aftermarket Dart blocks as they are cheaper then machining a used block and will last allot longer. The CRB asked me to submit paper work. Funny thing is I did that in February and they never saw it, yet I have the confirmation emails that said they received it. I would like to hear from the AS community on their thoughts on aftermarket blocks. I know the Fords can use the competition block, but the GM Bowtie adds 100lbs to a regular 010 setup. I will be doing some research before I sent the request

So, it's back on the dyno and maybe some more testing.

P.S. Did any other AS cars have a SCCA Data box in their car for the race? I did and am waiting for the results.

Was great meeting all the AS guys, what a great group to race with (and no GT-1 cars)

t4wallace
06-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Was great meeting all the AS guys, what a great group to race with (and no GT-1 cars)
Same here. We must be spoiled by the drivers in the division, or have more respect from the GT1 guys, because we really haven't had a problem running with them. It is more fun not having them in the group, but that's more from the GT3 perspective...

Dawson Motorsports
06-25-2009, 10:59 AM
It was good seeing everyone again. One of these days I'll remeber how to start my car and get back out there.
Chuck

jasonberkeley
06-25-2009, 11:17 AM
The fact that the Vette was in the middle of that is just so pathetic we never even talked about it on the ten hour drive home. The video shows him actually moving left in the brake zone to block. Rich went around him the long way only to have him turn into Rich on the uphill. We were encouraged to throw paper at the guy but did not.
Parts are ordered and the car is in the air.
Brad

All-

I am Jason Berkeley, the T1 Vette guy that had contact with Rich. First off, I am NEVER mixed in with the AS guys, and believe me, it is not where I wanted to be. Before the black flag, I was virtually the entire length of the front straight ahead of half of the T1 cars, and all of the AS cars.

Unfortunately, a guy in an STO World Challenge looking Vette got a bad jump on the restart, I got along side him going down the front straight at the drop of the green and he started pushing me into the wall at driver's right. I have no idea why, as he is in a different class, mixed-in with slower T1 cars, and WAY behind the other STO guys. I had to lift in the middle of the front straight to avoid hitting the right side wall, allowing Tom Sloe to blow by me, and the rest of you guys to close right up.

Rich tried making an outside pass on me into 5, and I tried to give him as much room as I could. I am completely over the rumble strips at driver's left in turn 5 at the apex, and left of center of the track going up the hill to turn 6.

Watch video from a car behind it: www.over1g-racing.com click on "VIDEOS" and watch lap 10 restart.

I think you will see that I gave Rich plenty of room and I was not the guy turning into anybody else. The moment Rich touched my right rear, I spun right into him.

I was hoping to quickly get back around Tom, and try to get back to the T1 guys, after getting hosed by the STO car.

Last year, I was one of three cars fighting for second place at the Sprints (with Jim Lynch and Chris Ingle), until my serpentine belt came off with half a lap to go. This year was clearly a different story, and I'm sorry that I ended mixed-in with you guys, but it was not my fault that I was there...

jkopp
06-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Hmmmm, at the risk of pissing some fellow AS buddies off, I'm going to keep my mouth shut. ;)

jimwheeler
06-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Looks like the video tells the story. I can't fault the yellow vette at all. There was plenty of room to his right.

Also, Jeff,
Are you saying that you lost a Comp cam, then went to Isky and lost one of those, too?

wheel

wre46
06-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Also, Jeff,
Are you saying that you lost a Comp cam, then went to Isky and lost one of those, too?

wheel

Yep. If the block is not perfectly aligned, it will wipe the cam. Comp cams seem to have more issues than Isky for "Perfect alignment needed"

FYI, I ran my old Comp Cam at the sprints with my old 305 setup.

smithpr
06-25-2009, 12:22 PM
I retract all prior comments. This shows how bad eye witness accounts are. :eek:

Philip

t4wallace
06-25-2009, 01:18 PM
I had no idea why you were mixed in... After looking at the video, you gave him plenty of room (more than I thot from where I sat -- see Philip's statement about eye witnesses). A lot of things that added up to a bad deal.

I expect AS and T1 cars will be more mixed than ever, so here's hoping we all play nice together moving forward.

Also hope both cars are fixable and nothing more comes out of it.

vincent ashton
06-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Check out the shove that the Corvette in the video gets from Mr. Sloe on the first lap in Canada corner. Ouch!!

KW78
06-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Hi Jason,

Thanks for posting, welcome to the forum. I think it is great to talk about things like this as adults, a far cry from the stock car track...

I agree that we all should expect to be in mixed groups more and more. Out here we've always raced w. T1... Actually we call it the big bore group...

Anyway, in the absence of other information, my first impression of the video is that you guys were ratcheted up and intense for the restart. I agree there was enough room after the corner, but when Rich came back on, he straightened up but then started crowding you to the middle, probably to set you up for 6 in a way to check you up.

The last move, however, I think is what a steward would focus on, and that was you turning right, it appears to me. I don't know if it was in anger, but it looks that way because there is so much momentum to the right - or you calculated that he checked up and would give?

Classic hard racing without enough give and take from both? Probably...

Most of us have probably been in each position... And it is the sprints, second only to the runoffs, but with mixed groups.

onward and upward..
Kyle

jasonberkeley
06-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Hi Jason,

Thanks for posting, welcome to the forum. I think it is great to talk about things like this as adults, a far cry from the stock car track...

I agree that we all should expect to be in mixed groups more and more. Out here we've always raced w. T1... Actually we call it the big bore group...

Anyway, in the absence of other information, my first impression of the video is that you guys were ratcheted up and intense for the restart. I agree there was enough room after the corner, but when Rich came back on, he straightened up but then started crowding you to the middle, probably to set you up for 6 in a way to check you up.

The last move, however, I think is what a steward would focus on, and that was you turning right, it appears to me. I don't know if it was in anger, but it looks that way because there is so much momentum to the right - or you calculated that he checked up and would give?

Classic hard racing without enough give and take from both? Probably...

Most of us have probably been in each position... And it is the sprints, second only to the runoffs, but with mixed groups.

onward and upward..
Kyle

Hi Kyle,

No worries- you guys have a good forum! In the northeast, where I typically race, and I know in years past at June Sprints, I have always run in mixed groups with the AS guys, and never really have had an issue in the past. Mike Lavigne and I have become good friends while racing out east, and strangely enough, have always shared a laugh about a couple of really slow GT1 cars getting in our way!

As to the incident, truth be told, my hands never turned to the right. After the initial contact from Rich, my car just got turned to the right. I was a passenger after that initial contact. I guess because I got tapped in the extreme right rear and was hard on the throttle.

I tried to give plenty of room, and had no intention of "banging back," as I just wanted to get through six and try and get clear of you guys after getting screwed by the STO car on the restart.

Oh well- unfortunate for all parties.

The STO guy was running his first national, and I think it showed.

jimwheeler
06-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Kyle,
When you single frame it, it is obvious that the Vette does not move to the right until he is hit on the right rear. His car turns in by contact, not before.
wheel

t4wallace
06-25-2009, 05:02 PM
Check out the shove that the Corvette in the video gets from Mr. Sloe on the first lap in Canada corner. Ouch!!
It allowed us to enjoy the lead. At least until the next time the track went straight.

EDIT:
Hi Jason,

I should have said the same. And we haven't run Pintaric from the site yet... Speaking of which, anyone know why he was a DNS?

jasonberkeley
06-25-2009, 05:21 PM
It allowed us to enjoy the lead. At least until the next time the track went straight.

EDIT:

I should have said the same. And we haven't run Pintaric from the site yet... Speaking of which, anyone know why he was a DNS?

He lost his motor in qualifying.

KW78
06-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Kyle,
When you single frame it, it is obvious that the Vette does not move to the right until he is hit on the right rear. His car turns in by contact, not before.
wheel

Hmm... Yeah maybe... If I watch only the road to the right of the Vette it seems so...

OK Mr know-it-all-wheel-camera-guy.... :laughing: what the hell kind of camera effect is going on from this Vette. Is this some sort of steady cam thing? The frame is moving some and it seems to enhance the speed effect. Watch it going around the kink.

Also, LOVE to see new exit curbs at 1, but is it like the mean suspension breaking stuff at 5? That stuff sucks and should be re-thought. I walked out there the first year it was there and it is as high as a brick.

Kyle

Jones77
06-25-2009, 05:40 PM
From under my helmet:

The wreck between myself and Mr. Berkeley didn't start on the first lap, although I couldn't forget that I was in the lead earlier in the race and lost two positions because I was blocked in by Mr. Berkeley and another Corvette.

When we restarted and going into turn 3, Mr. Berkeley over slowed three and I was too close to to get a good run on him going down the straight to 5. I went to the left and he moved out to block, so I moved to the right for a pass on the outside going into five. As the video shows, I had all four wheels in the rumbles as did Andy M. causing my car to slightly oversteer. I kept the power down as we exited and I shot a little more to the left than intended and moved Mr. Berkeley to the left, I beleive that was the first contact. From that point on it was more my error as I was starting to move slightly to the left to try and pinch Mr. Berkeley hoping he would lift so I wouldn't have to overslow 6. I think Mr. Berkeley also started back a little to the right, it was an error on both parts but more so mine at the end.

I hope Mr. Berkeley gets his car fixed without too muck work.

Good seeing everybody, it was for the most part a fun race.

Rich Jones

jimwheeler
06-25-2009, 06:00 PM
Excellent posts from all. No name calling, whining, or bitching. That's why I love this forum. Also, easy for me to comment, since I was sitting on my ass at home, and not racing. Sorry I missed it. Here's John Buttermore's fire. Notice, they say his tires melted, which caused the spin. Maybe just spun in his own oil??

http://jalopnik.com/5301957/racing-corvette-catches-fire-in-dramatic-fashion/gallery/?skyline=true&s=x

jasonberkeley
06-25-2009, 07:01 PM
From under my helmet:

The wreck between myself and Mr. Berkeley didn't start on the first lap, although I couldn't forget that I was in the lead earlier in the race and lost two positions because I was blocked in by Mr. Berkeley and another Corvette.

When we restarted and going into turn 3, Mr. Berkeley over slowed three and I was too close to to get a good run on him going down the straight to 5. I went to the left and he moved out to block, so I moved to the right for a pass on the outside going into five. As the video shows, I had all four wheels in the rumbles as did Andy M. causing my car to slightly oversteer. I kept the power down as we exited and I shot a little more to the left than intended and moved Mr. Berkeley to the left, I beleive that was the first contact. From that point on it was more my error as I was starting to move slightly to the left to try and pinch Mr. Berkeley hoping he would lift so I wouldn't have to overslow 6. I think Mr. Berkeley also started back a little to the right, it was an error on both parts but more so mine at the end.

I hope Mr. Berkeley gets his car fixed without too muck work.

Good seeing everybody, it was for the most part a fun race.

Rich Jones

Hi Rich,

I appreciate your viewpoint and I too hope your car is fixed quickly.

I think that the only other time we were ever close to one another was on the first lap going into turn 12, when Joe Gaudette in his red C5 was in between us. I was a bit ahead of Joe and you guys exiting the carousel, and the same STO car that took me to the wall on the restart, dove under me at the kink, rather than waiting for the straight following the kink (where he could easily blow past me). See the same website for video, and look at the lap one video and you'll see what I mean. From that point forward, I had pulled way ahead of you guys.

I had to check-up big time because of that, forcing Joe in his red Vette to check-up as well, and once again allowing all of you guys to swarm Joe.

I think in this instance (at turn 12), as well as on the lap of the restart (in turn 3), I over-slowed because I was braking at my normal marks, even though I was going much slower because my exit speed on the preceeding corners had been compromised by the seperate moves of the STO car.

In any event, i'm sorry we got together, and hopefully we can shoot the breeze about a better weekend over a beer next time.

Jason

jasonberkeley
06-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Excellent posts from all. No name calling, whining, or bitching. That's why I love this forum.

Yeah- you guys are like the antithesis of the ProdForums!

David Pintaric
06-25-2009, 08:45 PM
No name calling...http://jalopnik.com/5301957/racing-corvette-catches-fire-in-dramatic-fashion/gallery/?skyline=true&s=x

Redneck...hillbilly. ;)

t4wallace
06-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Redneck...hillbilly. ;)
Pot-stirrer. How come T1 guys don't carry a spare motor? Some of us AS guys do. We would have gladly come up and taken it out. Your own your own putting it back in. The only connectors we have are plug wires.:eek:

Seriously, sorry for the luck.

KW78
06-25-2009, 09:15 PM
How come T1 guys don't carry a spare motor? Some of us AS guys do....

The only AS guy that I know of that carries a T1 spare motor is Philip... And he obviously carries it between the fender wells... :bowdown:

jkopp
06-25-2009, 10:33 PM
Watch these Touring guys. They'll turn on you quick! ;)

Jason and Rich you have my FULL respect. I'm very impressed! :cheers:

David Pintaric
06-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Pot-stirrer. How come T1 guys don't carry a spare motor? Some of us AS guys do. We would have gladly come up and taken it out. Your own your own putting it back in. The only connectors we have are plug wires.:eek:

Seriously, sorry for the luck.

This was the first motor in six years I have ever broken. It is realtively unusual in T1.

I have been told that replacing a C5 motor is quite the ordeal, especially if you don't have the right tools. The Viper is a bit easier, but I am not sure I would have put my crew through that this past weekend. For the Run Offs? Certainly!

smithpr
06-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Jason and Rich:

Good posts. Most racing issues are a result of small errors on two or more parties.

Kyle:

I was down on power compared to Tom Sloe and Rich Jones a bunch. This is from driving next to them and radar speeds. :confused:

Andy and I were pretty close. His car works better and he was driving better.

Philip

jimwheeler
06-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Jason,
Thanks for posting that video. That's some of the best AS footage around. I'll watch it some more before going to the Runoffs.
wheel

brad-tsr
06-28-2009, 04:27 PM
The # 77 is completely disassembled. All damaged bolt on parts removed, motor and trans out. The preliminary parts order will be delivered monday. A secondary order will go in later in the week. Car goes on the frame machine mid week. As a body shop owner it's rare that I actually see a video of the crash. Thanks for posting.
Brad

wre46
06-30-2009, 09:16 AM
Did any other SCCA AS cars have the "mandatory" Data acquisition boxes installed in their cars during the June Sprints race or any time during the weekend? They stuck one on my car yet never told us how to get the results? Dave Gomberg, any ideas on where to get the results or why this was done?

jkopp
06-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Did any other SCCA AS cars have the "mandatory" Data acquisition boxes installed in their cars during the June Sprints race or any time during the weekend? They stuck one on my car yet never told us how to get the results? Dave Gomberg, any ideas on where to get the results or why this was done?

Wheels had one before. I think all the you get is the run file/s from a DL1. If you haven't been using a DL1, you'll need to download the software and familiarize yourself with it. You're welcome to call me if you need any help. I'd imagine that it take a bit of contacting to get the file/s but that you will come up with it eventually.

-Kopp

jimwheeler
06-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Jeff,
Since the before the Runoffs, they have been installing the boxes on cars in all classes. They use the data for comparison purposes. They put one on my car at the Runoffs. You should eventually receive the data from your car. Obviously, they won't give your data to anyone else. It might take awhile to compile the data and get yours to you.
wheel

jkopp
06-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Wheel, do they give you more than just the files? (just curious)

wre46
06-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Curious why they picked a slow car and not a "Sloe" car ;)

jimwheeler
06-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Kopper,
My files were corrupted, so I didn't get anything. I think they gave them print outs, but I am not sure.
wheel

andy mcdermid
06-30-2009, 10:24 AM
They asked me to run a data box but my car was apart so often during the weekend that we never got the chance to get it installed.I was hoping to get some more data.
By the way,I don't care what size wheels we run,but the tire manufactures
may have a different point of veiw.:thumbsup:

Dave Gomberg
06-30-2009, 12:39 PM
We had planned to have boxes in 15 cars from Group 8. A couple either broke or didn't make it. Andy was one we planned to have, but as he said, there was no time to do it because he was thrashing to get the car back together.

The other AS cars were Jeff's and Michael Lavigne's. I have the data for both of you. Send me an email (david@gomberg.info) and I'll email the file to you. You will need to download the analysis program from http://www.race-technology.com/download_area_2_7453.html

Dave

wre46
06-30-2009, 02:09 PM
We had planned to have boxes in 15 cars from Group 8. A couple either broke or didn't make it. Andy was one we planned to have, but as he said, there was no time to do it because he was thrashing to get the car back together.

The other AS cars were Jeff's and Michael Lavigne's. I have the data for both of you. Send me an email (david@gomberg.info) and I'll email the file to you. You will need to download the analysis program from http://www.race-technology.com/download_area_2_7453.html

Dave

Thanks Dave, Email sent. Mike, maybe you and I should exchange data! Let me know!

David Pintaric
06-30-2009, 08:48 PM
We had planned to have boxes in 15 cars from Group 8. A couple either broke or didn't make it. Dave

I was one that didn't make it...:censored: