PDA

View Full Version : MAM shootout

jimwheeler
05-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Six lead changes. Under 313 with and without aluminum heads. Over 313 in both Ford and Chevy. Split start. Lap records. Car to car. Final corner, final lap, drag race to the finish. Cars in the weeds, steering wheel in hand, more to follow early tomorrow morning.
wheel

fairlane_68
05-31-2009, 11:24 PM
Hmm...there's the Cliff Notes version...:D

socalta
05-31-2009, 11:36 PM
oh thats just wrong.....

jimwheeler
06-01-2009, 08:17 AM
We had ten ASedans at MAM this weekend. Nine of them took the green flag in the Group 2 race and one started in the group 5 race. Frank Safranek, whose Fox Mustang first race in 1991 or 92, when the class was formed, was forced to run in ITE. The rule clarification for weight didn't take effect until today. We all considered him as an ASedan entrant anyway. His race, on Sunday, would end on the front straight, when the weld holding the steering wheel quick disconnect broke and he found himself holding a steering wheel that wasn't attached to anything.

MAM is a very flat, smooth 2.23 mile track, with a slight crown for drainage. It is fun and challenging. Ted Johnson is the MAMeister, with thousands of laps as a coach, instructor and racer. He has gone faster there in my car than I have and also was faster in the SM, when we did a two hour enduro there.

Track record 1:41.709 by Kyle Watkins done in '04. I think it was with his Fox car.

Qualifying:

Shawn Gray 1:39.755 Firebird under 313/Alum
wheel 1:39.792 Firebird U313/ Alum
Ted 1:40.969 Camaro U313/Iron
Kopper 1:42.441 Camaro U313/iron
Bill Tucker 1:42.880 Camaro U313/iron
Bret Volkamer 1:47.950 Camaro U313/iron
Tim White 1:49.029 U313 Fox Mustang
Kim McDonald 1:49.165 O313/Iron
Jack Martin 1:50.004 GenIV Firebird U313/Alum

We were all mixed in with a bunch of EP cars, so Ted and I went to the Chief Steward and asked for a split start. This was after race 1 had started, but Chief Steward Ken Patterson, took the time to figure out how to make it happen for us. He worked it out so that everyone else started while the nine AS cars were behind our own pace car on the back side of the course. Thanks to him and to the timing and scoring folks, (Chief of T&S Candy Berger) who spent part of their lunch hour changing the grid sheets.

I got on the throttle a slit second before Shawn and was feeling pretty good, going into turn one in the lead. That was until I caught a hint of movement, to my right, as I started to turn in. Ted came blasting by into the lead. I took off after Ted and passed him. Shawn got by him on the third lap.
So it was wheel, Shawn, Ted, Tucker, Kopp in the top five as we started catching the slower cars from the front group.

On lap 13, I overcooked it coming into the 9/10 chicane and went straight through the grass. As I started to come back on, I saw Shawn to my right and kept it in the grass, until he could get by without me hitting him.

Shawn kept the lead until the last lap, when I got by on the front straight. We both had been driving at 10/10ths for 20 laps. I think he missed a shift, with a balky gear box. Mine was crunching too.

Shawn stayed right on my rear bumper all the way around the track. At turn 14, a late apex right hander, that leads onto the finish straight, I took the normal line. I probably should have used a blocking line, but we had raced each other totally clean until now, so I left the inside open. Shawn dived in and got far enough up that I couldn't turn into the apex. Now I was on the throttle, but in the marbles on the dirty part of the course. Shawn got on the gas and slid over into me. I moved left, but stayed on the track and we hit side to side. Neither lifted, and the drag race was on to the finish. He gave me about an inch of room and we finished like that with a tenth of a second lead for me.

wheel 1:41.595 New Track Record
Shawn 1:41.745
Ted 1:41.855
Bret 1:47.100
Tim 1:48.876
Jack 1:51.188
Kim 1:50.367
Kopp 1:43.824 electrical
Tucker 1:43.858 motor problem

All nine ASedans were classified as finishers, although a couple were not running at the end.

Shawn and I have had four epic battles this year, with each of us taking two wins and two seconds. It was great having Ted in the mix for this one. This was the first time Kopp and Ted have had their cars on the track since the Runoffs.

Saturday night Ted spent hours over a smokin' hot blender, turning a gallon + of Cuervo Gold into Margarittas. Because that's how he rocks.

wheel

socalta
06-01-2009, 11:38 AM
thanks Wheel...

congrats to all....:clap:

KW78
06-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Track record 1:41.709 by Kyle Watkins done in '04. I think it was with his Fox car.

wheel

I wrote in the other thread that I think this was the debut of my "new" car with the custom shocks and rear suspension, but I just don't remember the timeline well.

If it was in the fox then it was the race where the Holley fuel pump quit and I watched from the corner onto the middle straight during the race, I do remember that.

Sounds like I missed a fun race. Sounds like the group to race with too, because again this year there are no AS cars here.

I didn't know Ted the "MAMeister" had so many laps there... But I still don't feel good about losing the track record... DAMN! Congrats Jim.... really... :(

(BTW that nickname is too long, so now known as TedMAM...:thumbsup: )

I hope all of you will consider coming out for the Labor Day N/N at the new track. Easy drive and the driving experience won't dissapoint... even tho there aren't many support buildings yet. (RV hookups are in tho!)

You guys sure make it hard to stick to this saving-money-by-not-racing-plan...:censored:

Kyle

jkopp
06-01-2009, 03:39 PM
You guys sure make it hard to stick to this saving-money-by-not-racing-plan...:censored:

Boy, aint that the truth!

It was fun until the ignition quit. Still don't know why for sure but my guess is either ign box or coil. I parked it in the perfect spot to watch the Wheeler/Gray last corner shootout though. It was great to be back on track and to see everybody. I had a blast racing with Tucker and my heart sank when his 3rd engine in as many races let go.

I'm done for quite awhile. I just don't have the equipment or $$$ to hang. To top things off, the car came loose in the trailer on the way home and beat some stuff and the trailer up (amazingly, the car seems fine). That's what I get for using hook type tie downs. Been meaning to change them out for years.

Instead, I'll enjoy a nice new 2010 SS Camaro street car for awhile and see where things end up in a year or two. There's a good chance the #36 car will be on the market soon for cheap. :thumbsup:

Congradulations to Wheel, Shawn, and Ted on their finishing spots! :clap:

jimwheeler
06-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Have you taken delivery on the new car?

fairlane_68
06-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Have you taken delivery on the new car?

He's probably already started on putting the cage in it. :eek:

jkopp
06-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Nope. Proably be 3-4 more weeks before it gets here. No cage for this one. ;)

fairlane_68
06-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Nope. Proably be 3-4 more weeks before it gets here. No cage for this one. ;)

Ah. Showroom stock then? :D

jkopp
06-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Ah. Showroom stock then? :D

Ummm, that would still require a cage. ;)

fairlane_68
06-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Ummm, that would still require a cage. ;)

And you could keep the interior. The wife would never know!