Dave Hart 1:52.990
Jonathan Ricker 1:53.156

Results Sunny great weather

Philip Smith 1:45.702
Brian Wallace 1:45.899
Mark Muddiman 1:48.138
Jonathan Ricker 1:49.567
Dave Hart 1:51.096

The start was a total mess. We went around once because the left line was going about 90 mph's.:eek:

Second time wasn't much better. Brian was about 8 car lenghts ahead of me in the left line when the green was thrown. Dave also got by in the left line. I got around Dave out of the carousal and then worked on Brian. Brian can really hump a car around a track. He was running iron heads at 3280 and I was on Edelbrock at 3380. His car was better in the corners but I mine was better down the drag strip. Brian let me by into 1 on something like the 3 lap super clean and very nice. :bowdown: We both ran very hard until the end and I think Brian was waiting for me to make a mistake. He never gave up and we both drove a pretty good race.

This looks like it is going to be the last Road Race at IRP.

Great time and Brian and Tom's mom kept me in good food.

Great hanging out and thanks for the help. See you guys at Mid O.:cheers:

Philip

David Pintaric
05-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Jeez H christmas, Brian was trying to race ME on that first lap! ;)

Hey, it was really good to see you guys this weekend. It was the perfect example of sticign with something even though it started out crappy. I left for ORP on Friday at 7 AM, when we got past Columbus I got the call that the test session would end at 1:00. Ugh.

Well, I get there and they extend it to 4 PM, so that works for me. But I was told that the drag strip was so slippery that there was no passing on it, even in the dry. :eek:

So, I pay my $75 and hop in the car. I am all strpped in, start the car, and immediately see small rain drops. I tell my crew, "let's wait and see what happens." The rain picked up some more, and then some more, and then some more again. I took my gloves off and said the heck with it. If the drag strip is slippery when dry, can you even imagine it in the rain, and with 1,500 ft/lbs of torque???

All's well that end's well, though. Got the win, got some tires because of it, and now off to good ole Nelson Ledges. Phillip, ya coming up for that steak dinner I promised you? If you do show, bring some 'Non jeans" and I'll take you to my club. You'll like it, I promise.

jimwheeler
05-05-2009, 07:28 AM
I own some "Non Jeans", They are called shorts. Gave away my last necktie several years ago, however.
wheel

Brian Wallace
05-05-2009, 03:02 PM
It was nice to be back out on the track and get the rust out of the system. I couldn’t agree more with Phillip on the start. It was an absolute joke. On the first attempt, the pole sitter clearly did not follow the GCR (Section 6.2.2) where it indicates that he/she should maintain the speed of the pace car. So, we did not get the green, cuz like Phillip said, we were going about 90 MPH coming up to the line (no joke). The pole sitter got it right on the second attempt. Unfortunately for Phillip his line still did not go and I was already 5 car lengths ahead of him when the green flew. This allowed me to have some fun with David for a corner or two. Phillip ran a great race and it was a blast to race with him. I just wish I had a bungee to attach to his rear bumper when he went by.:thumbsup:

The weather couldn’t have been any better for racing … upper 60’s and lower 70’s with occasional cloud cover. Hopefully Mid-Ohio has the courtesy to order up the same type of weather.

jimwheeler
05-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Brian,
Welcome back.
wheel

t4wallace
05-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Jeez H christmas, Brian was trying to race ME on that first lap! ;)
You should have heard him complaining on the radio about how you were holding him up.:D Kidding...

Brian (and the rest of the left-side grid) benefited from a GT3 (a classy move by Paul Young IMO) going to the back with an unknown engine issue. The right-side might not agree.:eek:

From where I watched, there was also some good racing between Mark, Jon and Dave on both days. In fact, all of the AS cars except Mark ran the regional. Wait, they WERE the regional.

We did pay the price on Friday for the PERFECT FOR RACING weekend weather...

jericker
05-05-2009, 10:47 PM
I'll go ahead and echo what Phil, Brian and Tom have all said about the weekend. The weather was absolutely perfect for being at the track. I had the benefit of being in that left lane that took off both times but only had the pleasure of watching Brian and Tom for about 3 turns then they were gone. Dave Hart and I had a great battle for about 3 laps then it was real apparent he had junk rubber on and I waited him out until he couldn't stay straight anymore and I got by him out of 3 into 4 while inspecting his passenger side door as he slid by. The rest of the race was watching Mark slowly pull away. I'm happy with my 4th and the run I had, set a personal best at ORP on Sunday and can't wait for the next run. Don't know when that will be though. Good luck at MidO guys cause I know it won't be there.
Thanks for all the comraderie, AS really is a great group of guys.

Jon

t4wallace
05-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Good luck at MidO guys cause I know it won't be there.

Great to meet you Jon. Enjoy the time with your family.

Jerry Post
05-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Does anyone want to volunteer who was running the aluminum heads and who was running the iron heads and any opinion of the advantage if any?

Thanks Jerry Still Iron Headed.

jimwheeler
05-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Philip has the new heads. Don't know about Brian.

Brian Wallace
05-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Does anyone want to volunteer who was running the aluminum heads and who was running the iron heads and any opinion of the advantage if any?

Thanks Jerry Still Iron Headed.

I am running the iron heads and I plan on having an alum head engine sometime in the near future:thumbsup:. Phillip definitely had motor on me and if he was on newer tires like I was I probably wouldn't have been anywhere near him ... IMO.

t4wallace
05-06-2009, 05:00 PM
I am running the iron heads and I plan on having an alum head engine sometime in the near future:thumbsup:. Phillip definitely had motor on me and if he was on newer tires like I was I probably wouldn't have been anywhere near him ... IMO.
I'll add Philip pulled Brian 6-7 car lengths with equal runs on the front straight.

Lap time comparisons would be worthless since ORP is a :censored: track condition-wise and neither Brian or Philip were really pushing it since the track was in terrible condition. We were on newer R's and Philip was on Kuhmos from the 07 Runoffs (I think).

The AL heads are going to make more power and even with the weight should offer a better overall package since you can get the weight off the nose.

smithpr
05-06-2009, 05:14 PM
I think that for my car the AL heads are a better package. I really will not know for sure until I get to a track that I have data on. I will know much more after Mid Ohio at the end of the month.

Philip

jimwheeler
05-06-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm pretty pleased with my aluminum heads. I think tire management will be huge, with the added weight and added hp. It is going to be murder on one of those 100 degree days at Hallett, to keep the tires under this car. So, I don't think it is a total overdog.
My guess is, however, that aluminum will become the standard, as people replace old engines.

Dawson Motorsports
05-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Here is my take on the alum. heads. This is on a Ford, so take the info and do what you want.
5 races with the alum. You can tell a difference on the longer tracks, ie; Daytona and Vir. Some help on the shorter tracks.
No engine work was done to maximize the Alum. This comes later this year.
I think most of the National guys will switch to alum. This will leave a large amount of irons out there for the guys on a restricted budget. This is an excelent move.
That being said, we haven't max'ed out a set of iron heads to the new rules, this may come later this year also.
It's yet to be seen what will happen when people refreshen the alum, hopefully they won't start bending the rules.
Chuck

King Matt
05-06-2009, 06:03 PM
I've still got a couple sets of Ford GT40 heads in the shop. Are these going to be boat anchors now or is anyone likely to still build a new iron head Ford?

t4wallace
05-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Will anyone really know what the right head choice is until after a race is held at Road America?

To Philip's point, Mid-O will tell a much better story for CenDiv/GL since there will be a much deeper field there.

EDIT: What Wheel says below is what I should have said. Road America will only prove that out. What we don't know, yet, is the diparity of an under 311 existing engine with AL vs. same engine with iron.

jimwheeler
05-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Yeah, I know. Aluminum. Put it in the bank.
wheel

jericker
05-06-2009, 08:25 PM
Just some comments on the above posts, I have an under 311 iron head engine but am really not the guy to judge from. I plan on running this engine for a few years so likely won't be in the market for aluminum heads any time soon. Matt, I would hang on to the iron heads because there likely is going to be a collection of guys like me that might buy them at the "right" price as they are likely going to be cheaper than the aluminums. And Tom, it was nice to meet both you and Brian and I look forward to racing with you again in the future. I'm all about having fun, relaxation and setting personal bests, I'll leave the winning to guys like you and Phil!

Jon

jimwheeler
05-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Jon,
Great way to approach this sport. I'm totally with you. About the aluminum.... I am speaking only from the GM perspective. The iron Ford heads, in all our tests, flowed better than the GM iron heads. So, the Ford guys could expect a bit less in improved performance than a GM. A well developed Ford, with 100# less weight, should be a good combination.
After all the smoke clears, there is still the possibility of future weight adjustments. It was always the intention to give every combination the potential of winning. No matter what you drive, it is still going to be hard to beat guys like Andy and Brian. But, that's where the fun comes in.
wheel

David Pintaric
05-06-2009, 09:20 PM
You guys have done a nice job with this class. Kudos to you all.

What caused me to come over to this site before this past weekend's race was the fact that you had 5 entries...at ORP! A/S must be one of the stronger classes right now.

Again, kudos to all of you for the work you put into it. You all worked together and now you have a class that others can/should be envious of. :bowdown:

jimwheeler
05-06-2009, 09:30 PM
David,
Thanks. I agree. We had five entries at HPT on a weekend when there were only 100 total entries, mas o menos, (last year there were about 220). We had just about every configuration represented. Unfortunately, Chris Brannon's ex-T2 car is in moth balls, due to the economy and two other cars had engine issues at Hallett, or we would have had eight cars. And, if Kopp wasn't working so hard on McGinley's Vette, we would have had nine.
wheel

jkopp
05-06-2009, 11:16 PM
David, get rid of that clown shoe and pick yourself out a nice AS car to come play with. Heck, you're welcome to use my car if you want to give it a try sometime. :thumbsup: You have to admit all these guys are a LOT different than the Touring bunch (I said "different" not "better"). ;)