PDA

View Full Version : Hallett shootout

jimwheeler
04-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Great ASedan weekend at Hallett. New aluminum heads against fast car with iron heads. The old cars become new again. More later, after I get some coffee and watch the F1 race on TiVo.
wheel

fairlane_68
04-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Yup...great weekend...other than having my foot ran over twice and my hand slammed in a car door. The "ground pounders" put on a great race.

jimwheeler
04-06-2009, 01:17 PM
The only thing missing, was a Ford to run with us. On Saturday there were five ASedans. Shawn Gray in the Firebird, like mine, Bret Volkamer in the Gray Racing GenIII Camaro, David Gird, in the ex-Jude Rudder GenIII and Jack Martin, in the ex-Jim Stevens Gen IV Firebird.
Bret is in his second season and Jack and David are experienced racers in their first American Sedan race.
Shawn and I used the regional for a test day and pulled in to let the other three guys battle it out. Bret passed David on the next to the last lap, for the win, with Jack taking third. Good racing
Qualifying
Shawn 1:26.383
wheel 1:26.526
David 1:31.383
Bret 1:31.631
Jack 1:32.297

Shawn's car and my car are just about identical - brakes, rear gears, transmissions, etc. He was running with iron heads, at 3280 and I was running with aluminum heads at 3380.

Race:
Bret 1:30.581
David 1:31.858
Jack 1:31.435
wheel 1:25.765 NEW TRACK RECORD
shawn 1:26.972

Although Saturday was windy, it was nice and warm. Sunday it was about 40 degrees and 40 mph winds out of the north. Miserable.

SUNDAY NATIONAL
Qualifying
Shawn 1:25.413 under lap record
wheel 1:25.855
Bret 1:30.540
Jack 1:34.997

I was behind an EP car and she missed a shift on the start. I still ended up right on Shawn's bumper by turn 2. We stayed that way until lap 6, when I make a mistake and dropped two off at the bitch. I had to wave by two EP cars. I closed up a bit, but Shawn never made a mistake and we finished that way. At about lap 15 I looked at my lap timer and saw that I was under the lap record. Still under many laps later. Shawn, however, was even further under my record.
Race:
Shawn 1:24.712 NEW TRACK RECORD
Jim 1:25.090
Bret 1:30.050
Jack broke something in the rear suspension area

Great hard racing, and a good test of the new engine rules. The aluminum heads, obviously, didn't dominate.

Ted Johnson came down (from Omaha) to K.C. to go with me for the weekend and Bill Tucker drove down on Sunday, to watch the race. Jude Rudder was also there, watching his former car run. Robert Johns (Fairlane68) worked tech and weighed me multiple time, over the weekend as I tried to get the ballast right, for the new weight. Thanks to him, and to all the other workers who worked in those cold, windy conditions. Great to have some new ASedan racers on the track, even while we miss the ones who haven't made it out yet, or have moved on.
wheel

jackmartin
04-06-2009, 07:31 PM
I had a great time in my first time out with 300 HP more than my Miata has. Thanks to Wheel for a lot of help & and advice. I really want to thank the workers. Like Jim said it was cold.
I got some bad axle hop a couple of times under braking and I think I broke an upper link. I looks to be at an odd angle and the pinion is pointing uphill a little more than it should. At 40 deg I wasn't going to get the car up on stands and look. It would probably blow over.
I met Robert, Jude, Ted and Bill.
Looking forward to the next time out.
Jack

P Sherm
04-06-2009, 07:41 PM
It was fun watching Dave, Bret and Jack on Saturday. I'm very happy nothing broke on our car during it's maiden outing. :D

Didn't stick around on Sunday - loaded up the Neon immediately after the IT race and went home. Too damn cold!

Congrats on the smokin' times! :cheers:

jimwheeler
04-06-2009, 08:44 PM
P Sherm, for those who don't know him, is a long-time racer, who is a partner in the white GenIII that David raced. Paul will be in the driver's seat for his turn before long.

smithpr
04-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Jim:

It sounds like you guys had fun. I was putting the car together all weekend. It is almost done. Just need to put some oil in it and then I can start it. Needs scaling and alignment and she should be ready to go. Trying to decide first race. Looks like IRP at the end of the month. I have no idea what kind of set up is going to work at IRP but I will just put a basic right turn set up on it and see what she does.

Can't wait to drive the car again. It will be interesting to see how she runs since it has been almost a year since she has been on the track.

Philip

bmvco
04-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Had a great weekend at Hallet! And thanks Jim for the help w/ the sat win. It ment alot to me. And thanks BGR racing..

KelleyHux
04-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Jack - we presume you found your car cover. It was blowing up against the fence on our way to the flagger meeting on Sunday morning, so Will stuffed it in the car. Thanks for giving us a little bit of excitement on Saturday. Looked like you got things better adjusted for Sunday.

I agree with PSherm ... it was too stinkin' cold on Sunday. The winds almost did us in on Sunday when we tried to put up the "PLAY SAFE" banner! At least once we got blown back when trying to hold it up. The wind was brutal.

Glad to hear that the cool temperatures were good for some new lap records tho. With the usual heat at July 4th, the early event is generally the best time for setting records.

Congrats to everyone for good clean racing and no issues!

Kelley & Will Huxtable
"PLAY SAFE"
I'm DMVR, he's Wichita Region.

L98 Driver
04-07-2009, 12:38 AM
This is as good a place as any to try to convince Paul (P Sherm) to drive AS.
So let me hear it guys,... Anybody?

Dave, If it's not a V8... IT'S CRAP,Gird:cheers:

fairlane_68
04-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Anything else ain't fast enough. Or loud enough!