PDA

View Full Version : PRO SYSTEMS Daytona Double Results

PRO SYSTEMS
08-11-2008, 09:00 AM
I'll get to the reason behind that "PRO SYSTEMS Daytona Double" moniker at the end.

Daytona Group 6 "The Group from Hell" as it states on our lap sheets, once again lived up to it's reputation of carnage/destruction.

From the very first qualifying session, parts were flying and this continued throughout the weekend.

I was fortunate in the I had a very talented race car driver (Mitchell Geltz) as my spotter so I avoided some very serious incidents and witnessed some good engine explosions and big fires as well.

My #34 Pro Systems Mustang was having transmission troubles which forced me to hold the car into gear (it kept popping out) so I dorve the whole weekend with one hand. Which really sounds worse that it was...you get used to it. Its just scary on the high banks as they are not bumpy they are violent BUMPY BOUNCY!! We'll get back to that in a moment.

The big story of the weekend was the #9 A sedan car driven by King Pickett.

With an estimated 500 h.p. under the hood, that #9 car was wicked fast on the high banks.

However, King (who is a Koni Challenge driver) would lose much of those gains as the car traveled through the infield section where driver ability is at a premium.

Our first rain spattered Qualifying session and race was a mess...so I never got a chance to learn the track.

In the first race on the first lap, the #9 car made an error on cold tires in turn 3 and I got under him for the lead and passed him by quite a margin. The #9 car immediately blasted down the next straightaway and closed the gap, dive bombing me into turn 5! What? I was shocked when I heard my spotter say he was coming back up the inside ALREADY (wow thats some straightaway power for sure as turn 4 is merely a kink so its all horsepower in that section). We found out just how much power moments later on the high banks as the car drove off into the distance at intelligence insulting speeds.

When the first race was over, I finished second to the King car and politely asked him in Tech Inspection if the car had about 500 to about 525 h.p.? As thats my educated guess.

Kings response was less than favorable (it was nice of him to insult my driving ...I never claimed to be a good driver...I'm a drag racer..LOL. But it made the next decision easier).

He was then given some information of either being torn down for inspection OR getting bumped for having no SARRC decals. The latter was the option and King was relegated to last place.

This gave the win to Patrick James (me) and Second place to Matt Germino as poor Sean Ryan missed the tech shed and was DQ'ed.

Raceday Sunday arrived and for Q2 I had gotten some laps on the track and was ready. But unfortunately, I made the mistake of thinking timing and scoring was at the start/finishline (it is actually at the exit of turn one...don't make that error if you race there folks) as I lifted off my qualifying lap at start/finish and blew my number one 2:10.444 qualifying spot (its nice having GPS track mapping so you can see your potential...but it sucks when you see what could've been). King got the number one spot with a 2:10.9 and my timing showed 2:11.3. Know your track folks...that's the lesson on that one.

So P1 went to the #9 car, we all dismissed that (as we all contemplated how to wedge a big block in our cars for the next race) and went about todays race.

So I gave up my number one spot to the big engined #9 car.

With that in mind, we'll keep this discussion towards the A sedan racers.

In the race I got trapped on the low line and watched #9 escape on the high side, so I had my spotter call out the times for the second place car as I only needed to go fast enough to score second place as King would be DQ'ed in the shed again.

With one lap to go at 160 mph my panhard bar mount broke off my rear end housing on the front stretch. It was a pretty wild ride as the bar lodged under the fuel cell lifting the rear of the car up as sparks flew and I brought the car to a wobbling weaving halt into a safe zone.

Sean Ryan who was running a great race in third place (that guy is a very smooth driver and drive a beautiful Jaguar in HSR competition) suddenly moved up to second. Bruce Reichard who had been running in fourth and having cooling problems throughout the weekend solved those problems and then ran into fuel pump problems and he dropped out.

So in the race, King came home First, Sean Ryan was second, I ended up Third but was unable to go to Tech to inform Sean to protest King so Sean could score a Legal win (that would've been a great present for Sean who deserved the win for sure). Boy that guy works hard at the track.

Congrats on your win Sean.

I am on my way to the trophy shop today to get one made with your name on it (I'm serious).

It'll be called the PRO SYSTEMS Daytona Double.

Sean Ryan: You are the deserved winner of Race 2.

Patrick James

PRO SYSTEMS
08-11-2008, 09:09 AM
In pic #2 Sean Ryan is the #40 car in the background. A photographer sent me these pics this morning and it was the only one I had of Seans car.

Special thanks to the CFR staff for keeping it fair and tolerating us Group 6 guys. Sorry for the mess we left out there. :D

Be prepared folks when you run Daytona...its hard on parts...get your off road shocks out for those high banks. Those bumps break off the weak parts and some of the strong ones. :)

King Matt
08-11-2008, 09:19 AM
How do you know the guy's car is illegal if it wasn't inspected? Being DQ'd for not having stickers is without a doubt the lamest thing I have ever heard of.

PRO SYSTEMS
08-11-2008, 09:51 AM
I understand your concern.

It was his choice. He chose decals.

He also did not have decals on the next day so he had that option again (at least I did not see them on the RH side of the car as I staged next to him...so I knew the story).

If I was getting protested, the decal protest fee is only 25 bucks.

The Engine protest fee is $250.00 and they simply pull out a spark plug and pump you for cubic inches and compression.

I'll make the guy spend $250.00 if I'm legal.

Born at night... Not last night.

My big block headers are being built as we speak. :thumbsup:

BMiller
08-11-2008, 11:52 AM
How do you know the guy's car is illegal if it wasn't inspected? Being DQ'd for not having stickers is without a doubt the lamest thing I have ever heard of.
In regional SE SARRC series if you don't have their decals on the car you get no points and dropped to last place. Obviously the guy knew he was illegal and hence chose the decal route. Patrick, did you get a chance to look under his hood in the paddock?

King Matt
08-11-2008, 12:16 PM
That makes sense. If he knew he would be found illegal and forfeit the $250 protest fee, then I guess that's as close to an admission of guilt as you are going to get from a racer!

Dawson Motorsports
08-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Not saying the car is legal or not. But, the same car ran the National in May and finished 3 rd. At that event with a different driver the car ran 2:09's, Bob Eubanks and Tom Ellis were at 2:08's.:eek:
Just keeping everything in perspective.
Chuck

PRO SYSTEMS
08-11-2008, 12:22 PM
they wouldn't lift the hood in tech for us either.

I'll lift my hood anytime, tell folks my spring rates...shock settings, brake compounds and even show my competitors stuff that I do to go fast and cure car blues.

Yesterday I even gave fellow competitor Bruce Reichard one of my tricked out drag racing thermostats to cure his overheating blues he's been fighting..he went from 225 to 186 degrees. I love racing that guy.

I'll always open my hood and show my hand.....up until my big block headers show up. :thumbsup:

Bill the questions you asked me about setup etc.. for Daytona from this weekend are answered and are in your mailbox.

Patrick James

King Matt
08-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Hmm. So what is the tech procedure down there? If all they are going to do is pump it for displacement and whistle it, and you knew it was at least legal for cubic inches and compression, then accept the protest and pocket the money. But if they are actually going to make you pull the motor, then the mere threat of a protest might be enough to force someone to take a bogus DQ rather than go through that hassle, which seems somewhat like extortion to me. :eek:

PRO SYSTEMS
08-11-2008, 12:47 PM
you just unscrew a spark plug...hook a hose on there and its all done in 30 seconds.

PRO SYSTEMS
08-11-2008, 02:47 PM
You wanna see just how close I was to the carnage etc....look at all the oil and gasoline and flame residue covering the front of my car in picture one.

Man there was some serious damage. The fire on the Yellow GT1 car went from a little whisp to a full on blaze in 10 seconds.

I can't believe I didn't get a flat from a couple of engine explosions that threw BIG chunks of metal across the track or the SPO car that lost it on the front straight and deposited fenders and pipes across the front straightaway. Ohhh the Porsche carnage...and carbon fiber corvette GT1 1/4 panels...thats not cheap. Also sorry about crushing someones orange brake ducting in qualifying, but I wasn't gonna swerve that much at 160 mph. that was a long hose...what a weekend. But the video is great...gotta make a "mix tape" of this weekend for youtube.com.

Yes, its us...Group 6 "The Group from Hell" as we are offically classified on our lap time sheets by CFR, we live up to our reputation again.

Mark Allen
08-11-2008, 03:36 PM
I always loved the description for the October double regional at Nelson ("the great pumpkin").

Fall: Where the birds fly south and the sheet metal flys north......

Mark

Sean #40
08-11-2008, 05:27 PM
Patrick you flatter me again. Yes in the confusion and carnge of group 6 i thought i was 4th and missed tech i was trying to get out of the track before they released the hounds but rules are rules.
Sorry to hear about the bar i did not saw part way thru it honestly:laughing:
Also did not get to see you before we left "THE HOUNDS AGAIN"

The second race well i had a good start got past a gt1 corvette in turn 1 and worked over a Porsche then heading down towards the bus stop for the second time at 7 grand the temp was climbing over 220 so i eased up and used 5th earlier on the banking got it back to 220 and decided to take what i could get then the good old pace car, we saw that a few times!
When we finished again i had no idea where the other guys were so i went to tech and somone tossed a 2nd place trophy through my window thinking they had made a mistake i hid it. By this time my poor old u pull it 305 was 260 :eek: so i opend the hood for everyone to see and cook ther bratwurst on, the car weighed in at 3528 pounds "most of that is me" more later.

Sean #40
08-11-2008, 05:32 PM
I'll get to the reason behind that "PRO SYSTEMS Daytona Double" moniker at the end.

Daytona Group 6 "The Group from Hell" as it states on our lap sheets, once again lived up to it's reputation of carnage/destruction.

From the very first qualifying session, parts were flying and this continued throughout the weekend.

I was fortunate in the I had a very talented race car driver (Mitchell Geltz) as my spotter so I avoided some very serious incidents and witnessed some good engine explosions and big fires as well.

My #34 Pro Systems Mustang was having transmission troubles which forced me to hold the car into gear (it kept popping out) so I dorve the whole weekend with one hand. Which really sounds worse that it was...you get used to it. Its just scary on the high banks as they are not bumpy they are violent BUMPY BOUNCY!! We'll get back to that in a moment.

The big story of the weekend was the #9 A sedan car driven by King Pickett.

With an estimated 500 h.p. under the hood, that #9 car was wicked fast on the high banks.

However, King (who is a Koni Challenge driver) would lose much of those gains as the car traveled through the infield section where driver ability is at a premium.

Our first rain spattered Qualifying session and race was a mess...so I never got a chance to learn the track.

In the first race on the first lap, the #9 car made an error on cold tires in turn 3 and I got under him for the lead and passed him by quite a margin. The #9 car immediately blasted down the next straightaway and closed the gap, dive bombing me into turn 5! What? I was shocked when I heard my spotter say he was coming back up the inside ALREADY (wow thats some straightaway power for sure as turn 4 is merely a kink so its all horsepower in that section). We found out just how much power moments later on the high banks as the car drove off into the distance at intelligence insulting speeds.

When the first race was over, I finished second to the King car and politely asked him in Tech Inspection if the car had about 500 to about 525 h.p.? As thats my educated guess.

Kings response was less than favorable (it was nice of him to insult my driving ...I never claimed to be a good driver...I'm a drag racer..LOL. But it made the next decision easier).

He was then given some information of either being torn down for inspection OR getting bumped for having no SARRC decals. The latter was the option and King was relegated to last place.

This gave the win to Patrick James (me) and Second place to Matt Germino as poor Sean Ryan missed the tech shed and was DQ'ed.

Raceday Sunday arrived and for Q2 I had gotten some laps on the track and was ready. But unfortunately, I made the mistake of thinking timing and scoring was at the start/finishline (it is actually at the exit of turn one...don't make that error if you race there folks) as I lifted off my qualifying lap at start/finish and blew my number one 2:10.444 qualifying spot (its nice having GPS track mapping so you can see your potential...but it sucks when you see what could've been). King got the number one spot with a 2:10.9 and my timing showed 2:11.3. Know your track folks...that's the lesson on that one.

So P1 went to the #9 car, we all dismissed that (as we all contemplated how to wedge a big block in our cars for the next race) and went about todays race.

So I gave up my number one spot to the big engined #9 car.

With that in mind, we'll keep this discussion towards the A sedan racers.

In the race I got trapped on the low line and watched #9 escape on the high side, so I had my spotter call out the times for the second place car as I only needed to go fast enough to score second place as King would be DQ'ed in the shed again.

With one lap to go at 160 mph my panhard bar mount broke off my rear end housing on the front stretch. It was a pretty wild ride as the bar lodged under the fuel cell lifting the rear of the car up as sparks flew and I brought the car to a wobbling weaving halt into a safe zone.

Sean Ryan who was running a great race in third place (that guy is a very smooth driver and drive a beautiful Jaguar in HSR competition) suddenly moved up to second. Bruce Reichard who had been running in fourth and having cooling problems throughout the weekend solved those problems and then ran into fuel pump problems and he dropped out.

So in the race, King came home First, Sean Ryan was second, I ended up Third but was unable to go to Tech to inform Sean to protest King so Sean could score a Legal win (that would've been a great present for Sean who deserved the win for sure). Boy that guy works hard at the track.

Congrats on your win Sean.

I am on my way to the trophy shop today to get one made with your name on it (I'm serious).

It'll be called the PRO SYSTEMS Daytona Double.

Sean Ryan: You are the deserved winner of Race 2.

Patrick James
That was a perfect piece of brake duct i was going to open my door and grab it "i was only going about a buck fifty" and you ruined it.

PRO SYSTEMS
08-11-2008, 05:38 PM
your trophy is in process...will bring it to Sebring.

Then you should be qualified for Silverstone 24 hour race. Good luck there and take lots of pics.

PRO SYSTEMS
08-11-2008, 05:39 PM
and sorry about the brake hose. :)

Sean #40
08-11-2008, 06:54 PM
I just wanted to mention the #9 in the second race because i was back pedaling so when the pace car came out there were a bunch of cars behind me when we went green on the start finish line the 9 came by just before the dog leg so out of intrest i got back on it followed him through the hairpin down the short shute and through left hander before nascar 1, and he was bucking and weaving a bit but once on the banking he just left me, Now i am just an amature having fun in a race car but have pulled past a Brumos 914 6 (i think Hurley Haywood was driving it) at Daytona in my Jag and was clocked at 170mph so i have an idea about speeed and horse power "The Jag is limited to 6500 rpm but showed all its power at 7000 on the dyno" the 9 just seemed to have a lot more motor than anybody else.
Having said that i do not want to start a war i am just making an observation if you want to abuse me go at it i am bullet proof.
The reason for cutting the Jag back is because in HSR we run bias belted tires 225 60 15s and they must grow 3 inches at that speed.
PS i did mention the #9 to a guy at tech but he was more worried about the hounds being released..

Sean #40
08-11-2008, 06:59 PM
your trophy is in process...will bring it to Sebring.

Then you should be qualified for Silverstone 24 hour race. Good luck there and take lots of pics.
Looking forward to the trophy and the support you have given me since i joined the realms of AS has been great and looking forward to Sebring.
Thanks.
Sean.http://www.terrysjag.comand got to vintage racing link.

BMiller
08-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Dammit that's it....I'm coming to DIS next year. You guys had too much fun and I want a piece of it. I'll be at VIR in October for Goblins Go....please come up, we'll have a blast. :D

PRO SYSTEMS
08-11-2008, 10:50 PM
you really need to come to Sebring. You get to stay overnight at the track so theres no "Bums rush" to get you out by 5:30 p.m.

The surface is much nicer to your car and I find the track way more fun.

Also, you need to be sure to come when you see all the regulars listed, Seifreit, Reichard, Geltz, Evelands and now Sean Ryan and soon Walther. Hopefully Matt Germino will show up again (you gotta meet that guy...he wreaks of cool...maybe just wreaks...just kidding ya Matt).

These guys will race you and you can trust them side by side going into or through any corner.

I don't think any of these guys have ever touched paint and we've put some laps together let me tell you.

Man great fun. I love Sebring. Now if only Barnhills Restaurant would open back up for catfish night. Mmmmmm catfish.

See you in three weeks?

Patrick James

Sean #40
08-11-2008, 10:59 PM
In regional SE SARRC series if you don't have their decals on the car you get no points and dropped to last place. Obviously the guy knew he was illegal and hence chose the decal route. Patrick, did you get a chance to look under his hood in the paddock?
He had no decals when i looked at the car in tech, and have since found out that he borrowed the car for a one off weekend it is a shame that Patrick would loose hard earned points to a none regular.

BMiller
08-12-2008, 12:07 AM
you really need to come to Sebring. You get to stay overnight at the track so theres no "Bums rush" to get you out by 5:30 p.m.

The surface is much nicer to your car and I find the track way more fun.

Also, you need to be sure to come when you see all the regulars listed, Seifreit, Reichard, Geltz, Evelands and now Sean Ryan and soon Walther. Hopefully Matt Germino will show up again (you gotta meet that guy...he wreaks of cool...maybe just wreaks...just kidding ya Matt).

These guys will race you and you can trust them side by side going into or through any corner.

I don't think any of these guys have ever touched paint and we've put some laps together let me tell you.

Man great fun. I love Sebring. Now if only Barnhills Restaurant would open back up for catfish night. Mmmmmm catfish.

See you in three weeks?

Patrick James
I did my second school at Sebring many years ago in a 1st gen RX7. To this day I remember braking about 200+ feet later than a Fox AS Mustang only to have him blow by me on the very next straight. Repeat at next corner, great fun, man that motor sounded nice (the V8, not the keg-o-beer rotary). I'll have to start greasing the skids, going to be a tough sell with the kids starting school next week, would love to be there.