PDA

View Full Version : HPT Labor Day Weekend Dbl National

jkopp
07-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Last chance at a National race before the RO's, 2 races, on this years RO's track... what more could you want? (ok, don't answer that!)

Registration open:

http://www.dlbracing.com/clubs/clubdrivers.aspx?EventID=3565

KW78
07-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Entry fee is $500 for double national?! Seriously?! :mad:

jkopp
07-30-2008, 10:48 PM
Entry fee is $500 for double national?! Seriously?! :mad:

No, it's only $495. :p

jimwheeler
07-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Usually a national is $300, at least, so that a hell of a deal. $247.50 per national.
I'm loving it.

KW78
07-31-2008, 01:27 PM
Usually a national is $300, at least, so that a hell of a deal. $247.50 per national.
I'm loving it.

(You're a spokesman for Micky D's now?)

:rant:

Well, I call :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

Our nationals too are $300, or $350 for a double!!

Why? Because once you have the event going, the second day costs the region very very little. It's been awhile, but it used to be an additional $10 or $20 per car on track for the additional insurance of the second day.

And we pull this off with low car counts..... and this event should have an above average car count!

Come on Kaw Valley, WTF? How about $247 for one day, and $250 for both?!

Having said all that, I still have to attend.... I hear Jim is turning 40 again, is that right? Wouldn't want to miss that.... :cheers:

Oh, and I need the race to qualify, so I might as well come kick all your butts... :thumbsup: Have you guys picked who gets the 2nd place trophy yet? Ted's got my vote...:Yawn:

cheers,
Kyle

Tim White
07-31-2008, 01:44 PM
Oh, and I need the race to qualify, so I might as well come kick all your butts... :thumbsup: Have you guys picked who gets the 2nd place trophy yet? Ted's got my vote...:Yawn:

cheers,
Kyle

I'm hurt, he won't even vote for his previous car. OK, maybe the driver does have something to do with it.

jimwheeler
07-31-2008, 01:59 PM
I was on the KVRG board for a while and I can tell you the track doesn't see it your way. Neither does SCCA. Separate sanction number, so the KVRG has to pay the same amount, per car, for insurance, etc. as they would if it was held on a different weekend. HPT charges by the car/day. So, first race $XXX per car, second race $XXX per car. Last season KVRG, which includes KC and KS regions, did not break even on the races at Topeka. This season they might.
wheel

KW78
07-31-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm hurt, he won't even vote for his previous car. OK, maybe the driver does have something to do with it.

Doh!! I haven't registered yet or looked at an entry list... Sorry Ted, have to pull for an orange ford 1-2..... :thumbsup:

Kyle

jkopp
07-31-2008, 02:57 PM
I did some checking. For the most part Kyle, you're spoiled. I found the entry form Pueblo earlier in the year and see what you mean. For comparison, the Pocono double in August is $440 (before the late fee). Kyle, make yourself feel better about HPT and look into going to Homestead for their double in January. It was $625 this year! :eek:

Interesting stuff though. I'm sure it mostly has to do with track rental. What are others seeing for double entry fees?

KW78
07-31-2008, 03:23 PM
I was on the KVRG board for a while and I can tell you the track doesn't see it your way. Neither does SCCA. Separate sanction number, so the KVRG has to pay the same amount, per car, for insurance, etc. as they would if it was held on a different weekend. HPT charges by the car/day. So, first race $XXX per car, second race $XXX per car. Last season KVRG, which includes KC and KS regions, did not break even on the races at Topeka. This season they might.
wheel

Well it has been awhile since I've been exposed to the real numbers, but the $300/350 double national situation is from this year. Both had separate sanction numbers.

The insurance is per car per day, but it is not the brunt of the entry fee. I don't know about the track per car fee. We would have to rent the facility, even if only 1 car showed up.

When we ran reg/nat it was something like $180 for the reg., $215 for the nat, or $235 for both. Separate sanction numbers there too.

Securing the facility was always the big expense. Once that is done, extra racing is relatively cheap.

If KVRG is looking at the profit per track, then that may be the problem. As a club member, I think all regions should be required to balance the year out. When we ran our R/N/N at PPIR on the memorial day weekend, with something like $13K per day rent, we would lose big time. The other races at SCR and Pueblo, we would make money, and, for the year we would break even or be in the black a little.

We did this with consistent entry fees, which is important. (And pretty low car count compared to the rest of the country, as usual :( )

Anyway, I think this will be a big issue for the club starting now and in the immediate future. I think the tracks in general better wake up and realize that they, like everyone else, have to essentially subsidize the oil companies and charge much less because pockets only go so deep to go racing and use the facility they built. It's a worse feeling, although only by a little bit, then subsidizing the insurance companies.

Oh, and just to add insult to injury:

Exxon 2Q profit of $11.68 billion sets US record, but falls short of Wall Street expectations

Setting U.S. profit records has become commonplace for Irving-based Exxon Mobil. The $11.68 billion topped its own U.S. record of $11.66 billion, posted in the fourth quarter of last year. Right behind that was the $10.9 billion it reported to start 2008.

In fact, if one-time gains like bankruptcy settlements and spinoffs are stripped away from other companies, Exxon Mobil owns the record for the top 10 most-profitable quarters for a U.S. company, as well as the largest annual profit.

If we have such a free market economy, why don't we form the Asedan Forum Oil consortium, take their market share and settle for... say $6Billion a quarter in profit? (or why hasn't others)...

Hmmm...
Kyle

KW78
07-31-2008, 03:33 PM
I did some checking. For the most part Kyle, you're spoiled. I found the entry form Pueblo earlier in the year and see what you mean. For comparison, the Pocono double in August is $440 (before the late fee). Kyle, make yourself feel better about HPT and look into going to Homestead for their double in January. It was $625 this year! :eek:

Holy Crap!! That's like a rally entry fee!

I feel ok about going to HPT, I am just boiling when I pull up to the gas pumps and have to think.... is the $800 fuel charge to fill up going to authorize?!

And the psychology that is being pulled on us is amazing. Are we really that much of a bunch of lemmings? I actually heard the other day that fuel is predicted back down towards $3/gallon and what a relief.... seriously? Show me $1.50 gallon fuel where it should be.

Kyle

jimwheeler
07-31-2008, 03:49 PM
KVRG puts on races at one track, HPT. So, there is no way to average out the races other than to average the R/R/PDX weekend, with the N/N. KVRG did add the IT Tour group to the double N, to try to bring in other cars to keep the cost down.
HPT charges a set fee for the track, plus a per car charge for each race car. At the R/R/PDX the break even point was almost exactly the number of cars that raced. Rental for the N/N is considerably more than it was for the Reginal race.
When figuring what to charge for the entry fee, the group looks at how many cars they think will show and sets the fee accordingly. If that many, or more, show, they are in the black. If fewer show, both regions lose money for the season.

I would guess that the track will be somewhat cheaper next season, due to the Runoffs moving, but I don't know if that will be true.
KVRG is only putting on two race weekends this season, rather than the four it did last year. Maybe next year there might only be one, or, none.
wheel

Ted Johnson
07-31-2008, 03:57 PM

Tim,

Lets trade cars for HPT. That way when I bash him with his old car it would be all the sweeter. :D I'll pay for the damage. Please??

KW78
07-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Tim,

Lets trade cars for HPT. That way when I bash him with his old car it would be all the sweeter. :D I'll pay for the damage. Please??

:nono: Don't do it Tim! It's just a plot to have someone else in his car because of the two orange stripes that it is due for....

Ted Johnson
08-01-2008, 03:36 PM
:nono: Don't do it Tim! It's just a plot to have someone else in his car because of the two orange stripes that it is due for....

Yeah, but the car you drive now would just put rust stripes on my car. Tims car has some nice orange paint on it.

KW78
08-04-2008, 09:46 PM
Yeah, but the car you drive now would just put rust stripes on my car. Tims car has some nice orange paint on it.

No no, those were rushed stripes as I didn't want to slow way way down enough to make them look neat and tidy...