PDA

View Full Version : Hallet

socalta
07-05-2008, 01:57 PM
is it this weekend and anyone have any results

jkopp
07-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Yes, it's this weekend. National race is tomorrow. Getting ready to head out in about an hour. Haven't heard anything from anybody at the track yet.

-Kopp

ASGTO
07-05-2008, 08:40 PM
I have missed the past 6 years of July 4th weekends with my kids and decided that this year it wasn't going to happen. I hope everyone has a safe fun weekend.

fairlane_68
07-05-2008, 11:36 PM
I wasn't able to go either...gas prices and a new house aren't budget-friendly. But I did get my garage cleaned up! :thumbsup:

jimwheeler
07-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Qual.
Wheeler 1:27.170
Tucker 1:27.415
Kopp 1:28.108
Bret Volkamer 1:31.782
Andy Ruggiero 1:34.525
Shawn Gray 1:38.170

I had ignition problems all day Saturday, but a coil replacement fixed the problem. Shawn blew something up in the rear end. Andy broke a rear caliper bracket and caliper. They brand new caliper they bought had a hole in it.

Shawn came by and borrowed my spare 9" center section. I usually run 4.11 at Hallet, but had the 3.70 gears in from Memphis. The rear Shawn borrowed was my 3.90.

Tucker got by me on lap 2 or 3, and I repassed him a lap or two later. He stayed on my bumper and then he wasn't there. He spun off at the Bitch. Kopp started coming up on me and then he disappeared. Turns out he broke a rear axle shaft. He managed to do three more laps, to get a finish, with the left rear being held on by the brake caliper, and the fender.

The 3.70 was the wrong gear for me, with many corners too fast for 2nd and too slow for 3rd. Shawn caught me with a few to go and passed, for the win.
I told him to read the fine print in the "borrow the rear end" agreement. He wasn't supposed to beat me with my own stuff.

Shawn 1:28.717
Wheel 1:28.873
Tucker 1:28.914
Bret 1:32.232
Andy 1:36.704
Kopp 1:29.319

wheel

Scott Davie
07-07-2008, 12:58 PM
I wish I could have been there,but the Boss said it was goning to be a family weekend at the lake. I'm with you Chris, what could I do? I think I have made the Hallet race on the 4th for the passed 4 years (105 degrees). Looks like it was a good weekend for most (congarts Shawn) and one of the coolest 4th's in a long time. Sorry guys about the broken parts, but that is AS racing.

I think the family weekend gives me a free pass to Heartland. Well, maybe not FREE! Hope to see everyone there.

Scott

jkopp
07-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Sucks to break when you're having fun! :(

I went 2.5 laps on a broken axle not knowing what for sure was wrong. I was just hoping to at least get a finish at that point. It felt like I had broken a suspension link of some sort. When I finally limped it back to the paddock, I got out and saw the left wheel was crooked. I thought "sure enough, broken link" and went to confirm on the right side. To my amazement, it was perfectly aligned. Ended up that i sheared the flange of the axle hub. It was still bolted to the wheel and would slide right back onto the axle - sorta. The only thing keeping the wheel from flying off was the caliper/rotor. Weirdest thing and I still can't believe it kept moving. I'll try to post pics later.

The clutch quit working 2 laps earlier so my position was futile regardless. May have been able to hang on to 3rd but my bet is that Tucker would have caught me.

Got a lot of work to do to get the car ready to race again. There's quite a few little things that need attention too. I need 2 more starts and a finish to qualify for the RO's so she might not make it back out until the double at HPT although I'd like to have one more weekend just in case. I'm pretty much commited to making the RO's again this year since it looks like it may be my last for awhile.

The good news is we have the new T1 car close to dialed in and it was flying flawlessly this weekend. All fun! We missed you Scott!

-Kopp

jimwheeler
07-07-2008, 04:12 PM
The weather was pretty nice (in Hallett terms) with a gentle breeze, and temps in the low 90's. We have seen it 114, in the shade, for this race in the past. Scott, I brought your Memphis trophy, expecting you to show up. If you and Chris had made it, we would have had a solid 8, but 6 isn't bad, especially considering we all were finishers. Andy has had more mechanical bugs than the law allows. Reminds me of 1994, '95, and '96 for me, where I found all the stuff that can break on an ASedan....one at a time. Kopp and Tucker are considerably faster than last season and the times show how close we all are. Good racing.
Bret was a real crowd pleaser, with some monster slides and spins in the Bitch during qualifying. I was paddocked right next to the corner and as I was getting out of the car after my 7 laps of Q, he did another giant slide for life over the hill. Didn't spin this time.
I love Hallett and the folks there. Registrar, Betty Martin does the work of a half dozen, including getting the results to the drivers. In all the Q sessions, almost every group had their results before the next group took to the track. Pretty amazing when they announce 1 minute on the grid, for group 4 and group 3, your results are official and available at hospitality.
I haven't missed a Hallett race since 1991 (then in the BMW ITB) and don't intend to miss any in the future.
wheel

ASGTO
07-07-2008, 09:50 PM
Sucks to break when you're having fun! :(

I went 2.5 laps on a broken axle not knowing what for sure was wrong. I was just hoping to at least get a finish at that point. It felt like I had broken a suspension link of some sort. When I finally limped it back to the paddock, I got out and saw the left wheel was crooked. I thought "sure enough, broken link" and went to confirm on the right side. To my amazement, it was perfectly aligned. Ended up that i sheared the flange of the axle hub. It was still bolted to the wheel and would slide right back onto the axle - sorta. The only thing keeping the wheel from flying off was the caliper/rotor. Weirdest thing and I still can't believe it kept moving. I'll try to post pics later.

The clutch quit working 2 laps earlier so my position was futile regardless. May have been able to hang on to 3rd but my bet is that Tucker would have caught me.

Got a lot of work to do to get the car ready to race again. There's quite a few little things that need attention too. I need 2 more starts and a finish to qualify for the RO's so she might not make it back out until the double at HPT although I'd like to have one more weekend just in case. I'm pretty much commited to making the RO's again this year since it looks like it may be my last for awhile.

The good news is we have the new T1 car close to dialed in and it was flying flawlessly this weekend. All fun! We missed you Scott!

-Kopp

Hats off to all you guys for surviving the weekend. Congrats to Shawn on win and Wheeler for loaning out his parts. I did the same thing in T2 and got the same result..........a butt whoopin'! :cheers:

Jeff.....just a little food for thought.......don't wait until the Double National at Topeka to get qualified for the RO's. As often as stuff happens and crap breaks, you might want to think about doing one somewhere else before that to leave yourself some buffer room in case something breaks.

Did your axle break or the housing?

C

jkopp
07-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Jeff.....just a little food for thought.......don't wait until the Double National at Topeka to get qualified for the RO's. As often as stuff happens and crap breaks, you might want to think about doing one somewhere else before that to leave yourself some buffer room in case something breaks.

Did your axle break or the housing?

I know what you're saying Chris it just may not work out for me. Just a lot going on in August when GIR and MAM are happening not to mention what the price of fuel did to my Hallett trip. I've also got the family vacation to fund next week too. We'll just have to see.

Broke the axle - not the shaft but the flange. You have to see it to believe it. I think the housing is fine. Might have some brand new brake parts toast though. I'll post pics when I get it apart. Might be awhile though.

bmvco
07-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Had a great time this weekend for my 1st national race. Tire pressure and shock adjustment help out on the spins. No spins in the race.

jkopp
07-07-2008, 11:41 PM
Had a great time this weekend for my 1st national race. Tire pressure and shock adjustment help out on the spins. No spins in the race.

Man Bret, you were way loose in qualifying :eek:. The slide Wheel mentioned was actually pretty damn fun to watch. Good save. Glad you got it better for the race.

ASGTO
07-08-2008, 12:24 AM
I know what you're saying Chris it just may not work out for me. Just a lot going on in August when GIR and MAM are happening not to mention what the price of fuel did to my Hallett trip. I've also got the family vacation to fund next week too. We'll just have to see.

Broke the axle - not the shaft but the flange. You have to see it to believe it. I think the housing is fine. Might have some brand new brake parts toast though. I'll post pics when I get it apart. Might be awhile though.

I understand. This gas crap is getting old! I can't imagine how in the world the axle flange broke and you made it another corner let alone multiple laps. Great job getting the finish.

fairlane_68
07-08-2008, 09:56 PM
I almost forgot...well, I did forget...

Does anyone know how the lunches for the volunteers turned out? They sucked the last time I was there, and alot of the more senior volunteers/workers complained about eating one sammich, a bag of chips, a limp pickle, two cookies, and a half-brown banana for lunch. We were promised a better lunch this time around, but I wasn't able to go.

I'll admit the lunch wasn't great considering what I normally eat for lunch (more sammiches), butI was prepared and had a pizza under the hood of the Mustang. Wheel has his Crown Royal, I got my pizza...which can serve as ballast if you eat enough of it...:thumbsup:

socalta
07-09-2008, 12:24 AM
good job fella's...

looks like Kopp and Tucker are stepping up their game in a big way .. should make for an exciting RO this year.