After Q1 yesterday and Q2 this morning, the starting order is:
Andy McDermid 2:30.54
James Stevens 2:33.3 GEN IV
Rich Jones 2:33.6 SN 95
Kyle Watkins 2:33.9 Fox
Fred Hetherwick 2:36.8 new Ford
Dave Hunt 2:39.0
Chris Pederson 2:39.8

Forgive any misspellings, or errors, as I took the times over the phone.
They race at about 3 this afternoon.

Q record is 2:29.37
R record is 2:31.67
Both by Tom Sloe, last year.

wheel

Dave Gomberg
06-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Practice and qualifying results are being posted at http://www.scca.com/eventitems.aspx?item=280&event=13180&hub=1

Dave

jimwheeler
06-21-2008, 08:04 PM
1. Andy 2:31.392 New Race record
2. Rich 34.621
3. Fred 38.097
4. Chris 42.122
5. James 35.783 completed 9 laps
DNF Kyle 34.833 completed 4 laps
DNF Dave ?

BMiller
06-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Looks like Andy pretty much had the field covered, sheez 3+ sec. Wow!

racer14
06-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Did Kyle blow another engine?:mad:

jimwheeler
06-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Official results: http://www.scca.com/documents/Club_Events/08-sprints/Grp%201%20Race.pdf

jimwheeler
06-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Kyle's engine started to knock, and lose oil pressure, so he pulled in. He thinks it is a bearing. Kyle thinks Jim Stevens lost his brakes and backed it into the wall at turn 5. He didn't see the car afterwards and doesn't know how bad the damage.
wheel

PRO SYSTEMS
06-23-2008, 11:46 AM
on your win Andy McDermid (thanks for flying our flag). It looks like a good drive.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS

PNM52
06-23-2008, 11:54 AM
His win was no surprise to me after watching him in q1 and q2 . Andy can drive! that car was at its limit every moment . What was real interesting, was how it sounds like an Indy Car when he shifts . ( Those Offenhausers have a sound of there own dont they) What i dont understand is how he gets the turbo past Tech.

jimwheeler
06-23-2008, 01:33 PM
I followed Andy through the carousel and down through the kink a couple of times at the Sprints a few years ago, and couldn't believe how fast he ran through that section.
The SM race ran a total of 7 laps, (out of 13) several of which were under full yellow for a SS crash near the kink. The total time of the race was 22 minutes. Some of the drivers completed only 3 laps and were classified as finishers. Sounds like a good regional race. The Spec racers never got more than 2 laps under green the whole weekend. They seem to like the full course yellow for any mishap. Should be a real exciting Runoffs when somebody crashes and they throw the double yellow. Since the track is so long, two laps under yellow can eat up 10 minutes.

Since I wasn't there, everything I posted about double yellows was from reports (that is to say hearsay). I did get an email about one of the SRF incidents, that points out that a SRF hit the tow truck, which moved the truck 5-feet and most likely, totaled it (the tow truck). I try not to second guess the stewards, corner workers, or any safety worker, for that matter. I would have been much better off leaving out the line "They seem to.......for any mishap".

I do stand by the Runoffs statement. At HPT, a local yellow seems to work just fine during most cases, at RA, a double yellow is called for much more frequently.

It is only a year and a half until my concerns will be supported - or not.

I love the track and enjoyed racing there, even though we spent about 10 minutes under a double yellow. At least they threw the green and let us finish the race.
wheel

KW78
06-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Hey All,

Back home after 2392 miles and $2001.43 in Diesel Fuel.

The trip was to topeka for the R/R, and then to the Sprints. Going to the sprints from topeka was a detour north of the flooding in Iowa.

Topeka was fun. Nationals course first day. Short course second day, which was a blast. Riding the rev limiter blind over corner alpha is serious fun. Timing and scoring was screwed up, so they only had lap charts. I felt fast. Curious what the short course AS record is.

Anyway, To answer Racer14, I didn't let a motor scatter, but it went off song and had 11psi Oil hot.... Hmm...

Random thoughts about the sprints:

Andy rocked. We can debate rules on this site forever, but until you are committed to every corner at the limit, you're not going to run with him. This includes the kink and the brake zones. Now that his race effort has found motor reliability, look out... he could win a national championship I think... :eek:

I had troubles every session. For you newbies, here is some advice that seems..... well obvious!

A sprints trip is not the way to shake down a car....
You need crew!...
If you don't have crew, don't be crew for another AS car.
If you don't have crew, and are crew for another AS car, don't take on a SM car also....

Hmm... Duh comes to mind...

The sprints started OK. Practice went OK, but timing and scoring was screwed up here too, so there was no times for group one.

I followed Andy in Q1 and managed to be second on the grid, but by 2+ seconds. T2 traffic sucked. I got caught up with a T2 BMW that I had a run on into the kink. I decided to not push it, lifted early and fell back behind him, when he unexpectedly braked hard and down a gear for the kink. It was all I could do not to write off both cars. I guess he lost me in his blind spot?

Q2 came around, was an early morning session, and everyone was going to go faster. I had my 4 stickers on and was buckled in about to head to grid and found the right rear flat. I scrambled out and changed it with an old tire, and was late to Q2, and flustered. The car was not that predictable on 3 new and one old tire, although I got within a tenth on my timer.

For the race, I got a good start from 4th, and actually was briefly in the lead (I think) into one. We went about 4 wide, me on the outside, Andy on the inside, then Rich, and James next to me. Something had to give so I ran out of room at the track out of one, fished tailed around in the dirt, and was 4th again, with a T2 BMW between me and third.

I followed the T2 leader (I presume) around as the AS cars in front of him started to edge away, so when we came back to corner one I ran him deep and out braked him, setting off for James leading Rich. I caught them after a lap or so and the three of us were nose to tail. Rich made a little mistake entering the kink, so by canada I had just enough car beside him for a block pass under braking, yet enough room for not taking James out... an important point that I briefly wondered if I had misjudged... :laughing:

I followed James into one, and he went a little deep, allowing me to look around him and get by, and I think Rich did too. I set sail (a figure of speech for creeping ahead :p ) and gapped rich a bit and was settling in by Lap 4 I think. Andy was gone.

As I came down towards canada, the motor note changed. I thought to myself "here we go again". By the front straight it was flat on top, and Rich just pulled around me. I noticed the oil pressure dropping, and nursed it around to 6 where the pressure was about 11, so I pulled off in 8. End of race for me. :mad: :mad:

Kyle

smithpr
06-25-2008, 10:59 AM
Guys:

First time I missed the Sprints in 5 years. What a bummer. I love the place. Andy is very good there and his car is better this year then last. Everyone says that RA is a horsepower track but you still need to drive and there are 14 cornes and a number of very high speed corners which causes the cream to rise to the top. Andy is going to be tought to beat and I am focused on 2009 right now. My car needs a number of up grades to run with Andy. It is a good second place car right now but I will be ready for 2009.

RA is very hard on cars and mistakes are very painfull. Kyle is correct, you better bring a good car to Elkhart Lake or you will pay the price. It took me a couple of years to be able to put a car on the track up there that could last an entire weekend. The time in top gear and the hard braking really is hard on the car.

Crew is a must. There is always stuff to do at RA.

Bring on the 2009 Runoffs.

The sight and sound of 25 or more A/S cars running into turn 5 on the first lap is going to be great. I hope I am leading the pack :eek:

Philip

KW78
06-25-2008, 08:20 PM
Guys:

First time I missed the Sprints in 5 years. What a bummer. I love the place. Andy is very good there and his car is better this year then last. Everyone says that RA is a horsepower track but you still need to drive and there are 14 cornes and a number of very high speed corners which causes the cream to rise to the top.

RA does have some high speed handling sections, but you have to have the HP. I think I was on reasonable pace with Andy in 12 of the 14 corners, but even in his draft my HP was such that he gained a second per straight.

Andy is going to be tought to beat and I am focused on 2009 right now. My car needs a number of up grades to run with Andy. It is a good second place car right now but I will be ready for 2009.

RA is very hard on cars and mistakes are very painfull. Kyle is correct, you better bring a good car to Elkhart Lake or you will pay the price. It took me a couple of years to be able to put a car on the track up there that could last an entire weekend. The time in top gear and the hard braking really is hard on the car.

Your saying 2 things here. Mistakes are painful, and can have big penalties. I agree and feel negotiating those risks with skill is the attracting feature. But RA is very hard on cars, in a few totally unnecessary ways. THEY MUST BULLDOZE THE NEW CURBING!!!!! :mad: :mad: This is totally bogus, and petty. It is like someone there out of spite decided to show us racers that go outside the curbs! The curbing which was new for last year, progresses from 2x4 to 4x4 size blocks, and break the suspension. They bent spec miata wheels just from running wide, and they knocked a MOOG ball joint out of my car. The old curbs were fine, or make them a hump you have to go over that ruins the handling without breaking sh!t, like the older Mid-O curbs. They weren't used because that was the slower way, which is how it should be everywhere! What we have now is a situation where if you can afford the crew and the parts to break your car every session, you can be faster. Ala Tom Slow who beat his struts to the point of failure last year with blatant disregard.

Crew is a must. There is always stuff to do at RA.

Bring on the 2009 Runoffs.

The sight and sound of 25 or more A/S cars running into turn 5 on the first lap is going to be great. I hope I am leading the pack :eek:

Philip

Hmm.... Well I think this class damn well better muster more that 25 cars. We had 48 cars in one of my first runoffs, and we had to do a transmission every other day. With all the new heads, engine rules, etc, that eliminates the "reason" so many chevy's stayed home recently, there better be 50 camaros there! Yes, I'm calling everyone out, especially GM owners! No more excuses... :boxing:

:cheers:
Kyle

SedanMan
06-26-2008, 01:36 AM
Hmm.... Well I think this class damn well better muster more that 25 cars. We had 48 cars in one of my first runoffs, and we had to do a transmission every other day. With all the new heads, engine rules, etc, that eliminates the "reason" so many chevy's stayed home recently, there better be 50 camaros there! Yes, I'm calling everyone out, especially GM owners! No more excuses...
:cheers:
KyleKyle, I'm hoping to make it to this year's Runoffs but that will probably be my last one for a while so subtract 1 for next year's Runoffs. It's a 4,400 mile round trip for me, not to mention I've never even seen the place in my life. I hear it's a great track (in spite of some of the legit-sounding concerns that you and others have) and would love to drive it some day. But truth be told it's 'home track' again to a lot of the East side of the country and people like you, Sloe, Andy, Philip and others can probably drive it with your eyes closed.

That by itself wouldn't keep me from going but in order to have any chance at a top finishing position I'd have to get some seat time there before the Runoffs. Either next year's June Sprints or some prelim arrive-n-drive rental deal. No matter how you slice it it'll end up being tens of thousands of dollars to position myself for a good finish.

I'm sure the SCCA execs had the membership majority in mind (if not the SCCA bank account) when they booked 3 years at RA, but once again the West Coast drivers got screwed. Hey, I have an idea. Run for the BOD and get the damn thing moved to Miller Motorsports Park in 2012. I'll see you there, and even if gas is $15/gallon it'll still be more affordable than going half way round the world, not to mention not as much of a home field advantage for most....yourself excluded. :)

jimwheeler
06-26-2008, 08:52 AM
That was my argument to SCCA. Living in the middle of the country, it really doesn't hurt as much as for those of you on the west coast, or Florida. I didn't mind the drive to MidO, or even to Road Atlanta, but I would hate to have to make that trip from L.A.

King Matt
06-26-2008, 11:04 AM
There is no way to locate an annual national event in such a way that everyone is happy. The best option is to rotate it on a semi-regular basis, which is what is now happening after decades of the event remaining in one spot for 10-15 years at a time. I'm sure Miller is on the very short list of tracks that will host the Runoffs in the coming years. It's a first class facility and I'm sure they will bend over backwards to host the event, but I'll bet locating it there would lose more Easterners than Westerners are gained. West Coast guys always make the argument that they should have an event on their coast, but when you look at population density charts of the US, you can see that from a racing promoter's perspective, that's a losing proposition. Drag racers learned this years ago. Other than the pro NHRA events, organized drag racing is pretty much dead on the West Coast compared to the east and midwest.

jimwheeler
06-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Matt,
I think time will tell. At any rate, one good reason to live in the middle of the country. It doesn't matter much, to me, where they hold it.
wheel

SedanMan
06-26-2008, 01:33 PM
There is no way to locate an annual national event in such a way that everyone is happy. The best option is to rotate it on a semi-regular basis, which is what is now happening after decades of the event remaining in one spot for 10-15 years at a time. I'm sure Miller is on the very short list of tracks that will host the Runoffs in the coming years. It's a first class facility and I'm sure they will bend over backwards to host the event, but I'll bet locating it there would lose more Easterners than Westerners are gained. West Coast guys always make the argument that they should have an event on their coast, but when you look at population density charts of the US, you can see that from a racing promoter's perspective, that's a losing proposition.Sure, if you take all the premier SCCA racing events and put them on the East coast then why would SCCA racing be as popular on the West coast? The West coast race tracks are virtually booked solid all year, just not with SCCA events.

California and Arizona host 2 NASCAR races per year each whereas most East coast cities only host one. California and Nevada are the only states that host 2 NHRA races per year, all the other cities only host one. California hosts one of the most well attended Indy Car weekends of the year with nearly a quarter million people attending the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach over the weekend. California virtually put Spec Miata on the map when the class first debuted and it was common to see 40-50 car fields until Topeka started, well, that's another subject.

No, this isn't a California Chamber of Commerce ad. :) I'm just saying that I agree that the Runoffs should be moved around the country but that it's been FOURTY years since the Runoffs have been on the West coast. How many people reading this had their driver's license 40 years ago, not to mention how many were racing with the SCCA 40 years ago?

It might just be a sad reality that the Runoffs will never come back to the West coast. I guess that's why NASA became popular in the West because there are people who want to race and drive fast on race tracks in spite of the fact that the SCCA doesn't do anything to support it at the Runoffs level.

King Matt
06-26-2008, 01:42 PM
California and Arizona host 2 NASCAR races per year each whereas most East coast cities only host one. California and Nevada are the only states that host 2 NHRA races per year, all the other cities only host one. California hosts one of the most well attended Indy Car weekends of the year with nearly a quarter million people attending the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach over the weekend.
Those are spectator events. They have nothing to do with this discussion. I'm talking about participatory racing events. There is a ton of club racing in California--I know that because that's where I got my start--but if you put the Runoffs there it will be a ghost town. Sure, you'll get every club racer on the West Coast, but virtually no one from the rest of the country. Regional racing is obviously very strong in California, but I'm not sure what that has to do with the finanacial implications of hosting the Runoffs there. Since you mentioned NASA, that organization started in the Bay area and has arguably its biggest base of support in California, but even they knew that hosting their national championship on the West Coast would be a losing deal.

My bet is that Miller is as far west as the Runoffs get.

jimwheeler
06-26-2008, 01:54 PM
The west coast was, as every historian knows, the birth place of car culture in this country. Although sports car racing started mainly on the east coast, there was plenty going on in California, fifty plus years ago. After all, James Dean was killed on his way to a road race in his Porsche. I think Bill is correct about the Runoffs. How big would SCCA road racing be in Florida and New England, if the national championship had been at Sears Point and Laguna for the last forty years? I think we would have seen a 180 degree shift in what is happening with SCCA now.
It will be interesting to see if they move it west in the future.
wheel

King Matt
06-26-2008, 02:06 PM
But it still all comes down to this:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w273/bigwagon/lf-map.gif

as4044
06-26-2008, 02:34 PM
That map makes Nasa's Mid-Ohio Championship look pretty smart.
Looks like a track in Kentucky would be just about right.

Ron

socalta
06-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Matt .. a bit worrisome that you have that so quickly available :eek:

I think one should look at population trends and growth.. That points the argument in a different direction and offers an opportunity.

King Matt
06-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Google US population density map. It took about 30 seconds to find and host. I could make some cracks about the trends in population growth and how they will likely affect participation in sanctioned road racing, but I won't.

SedanMan
06-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Matt, my post about 'spectator events' (as you called them) was in reply to this comment you made:

West Coast guys always make the argument that they should have an event on their coast, but when you look at population density charts of the US, you can see that from a racing promoter's perspective, that's a losing proposition.

I would say that 'racing promotors' were the ones responsible for picking the demographics and geographic locations for these very successful events and for doubling up in CA while leaving most of the rest of the US to only have single events.

In my opinion it has a lot to do with demographics and convenience. How many times per year would you go to Disneyland if it was an hour drive away v. a 24 hour drive away? (flying is cheating because in this analogy I don't know anyone that air freights their race car to the Runoffs)

Also, be careful when using statistics and maps with population density. If you follow that logic then the most lucrative place to host the SCCA Runoffs would be downtown New York where the population density is the highest. :D

(on the other hand, forget what it would sound like when 25 AS cars approach Turn 5 at RA, imagine what 25 AS cars would sound like thundering between the high rise buildings on Wall Street) :eek:

Now THAT would be cool!

jimwheeler
06-26-2008, 03:52 PM
That would be cool, but not nearly as scary as riding down the same streets in a cab driven by a guy yelling in Arabic into a cel phone to one of his buddies. Of course, the radio is blasting some weird music and the pedestrians and bike riders are all zigging and zagging for their own piece of the road.

King Matt
06-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Also, be careful when using statistics and maps with population density.
Be careful of what? Recognizing that there are probably three times as many SCCA racers within a day's tow of Mid-Ohio (or even Road America) as there are from Laguna Seca?

Waco Racer
06-26-2008, 05:02 PM
California and Nevada are the only states that host 2 NHRA races per year, all the other cities only host one.

Illinois, Tennessee & Texas have 2 NHRA races per year.

Texas would be a great place to host a National Championship event, if we only had a proper track. :(

King Matt
06-26-2008, 05:18 PM
if we only had a proper track. :(
Which actually begs a more interesting question: Regardless of location, what tracks would make suitable venues for an event the size and stature of the Runoffs?

Definites:
Mid-Ohio
Road America
Miller
Road Atlanta
Watkins Glen
Laguna Seca
Sears Point

Possibles:
VIR (talk about boonies...)
Barber (beautiful but kind of small)
Sebring
Daytona

SedanMan
06-26-2008, 06:41 PM
Illinois, Tennessee & Texas have 2 NHRA races per year.

Texas would be a great place to host a National Championship event, if we only had a proper track. :(Sorry, I was referring to the same venue (race track within the state), not the same state.

Tim White
06-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Which actually begs a more interesting question: Regardless of location, what tracks would make suitable venues for an event the size and stature of the Runoffs?

Definites:
Mid-Ohio
Road America
Miller
Road Atlanta
Watkins Glen
Laguna Seca
Sears Point

Possibles:
VIR (talk about boonies...)
Barber (beautiful but kind of small)
Sebring
Daytona

Funny you don't list Heartland Park.

PRO SYSTEMS
06-26-2008, 06:54 PM
You have the Run offs in late November or Early December in Daytona or Sebring and this way its a vacation for the entire family in the warm Sunshine State.

Its still 80 degrees every day that time of year. Its also our driest season, so pretty much no chance of our daily "one hour rain shower" that we typically enjoy in the summer.

Patrick James

KW78
06-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Funny you don't list Heartland Park.

And funny we didn't mention the date moving. The runoffs don't work in October. Didn't work at Mid-O, didn't work at Topeka. The main problem with Topeka was the weather, IMO. 2 Years of maybe wet, maybe dry changing conditions, with cold and rainy evenings is the dagger there, not the "Mall parking lot".

Even if the track is in the south, traveling weather nationwide can be a problem.

This thread has turned left a bit, but I think SCCA needs to shift it's whole paradigm here to keep up with the times.

I think most any national racer, that is willing to travel outside a regional effort, as most national racers do, cares way more about the competition at a given event, then most other factors about it.

I think the SCCA should:

Pick a track for the runoffs - shortish stint like 2 years.
Pick a date for good weather
Rotate the fiscal season around that date, while it is at that track.

If that is too short for a track to be attracted to it, contract 4 years, just not consecutively.

I don't car if my race in september is going toward points for this year or next. Put the runoffs at Miller in July for 2 years. Put it at Indy in september for 2 years. Put it at laguna in may for 2 years. If the runoffs promised the good competition, AND moving around to experience differnt tracks, thats a win win situation that I think the average club racer will respond greatly to.

Sebring? Ok, if I am going to drive 8000 miles round trip... Put it at sebring the week after the 12Hour so I can make a real 3 week vacation out of it. Be there for the 12 hour, be there for a test week, run the runoffs. At least I'll have the snowy colorado winner to prepare the car.

This 11/01/xx date that everything evolves around is not set in stone. The benefits of floating this around will shortly outweigh the inconveniences, especially since it is really the same amount of issues, just different timing.

My .02
Kyle

PRO SYSTEMS
06-27-2008, 01:57 PM
It's only 1900 miles from the heights of Colorado to Sebring.

Not a bad drive really for a once a year deal in a nice place (you've seen National Lampoons "Family Vacation" right) Looks like fun.

November and Early December roads nationwide are pretty snow free that time of year too.

Change the rules for the next year to actually apply on January 1st, NOT November (thats an odd date anyway) and all is well.

PLUS you get a family vacation out of it. OR a vacation from your family. :ciao:

Who knows you may see Christie Brinkley in a Ferrari along the way...tell her I said Hi.

wre46
06-27-2008, 05:38 PM
If you follow that logic then the most lucrative place to host the SCCA Runoffs would be downtown New York where the population density is the highest.

I can see it now, Central Park Raceway. I am ready to paint my car Taxi cab yellow:driving: !!!

:driving:

jimwheeler
06-27-2008, 05:55 PM
I can see it now, Central Park Raceway. I am ready to paint my car Taxi cab yellow:

Jeff,
No good. You speak English.
wheel

SedanMan
06-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Is there such a thing as a wood beaded, SFI approved, seat cushion?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B000EEU0IO/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_1?ie=UTF8&index=1

Perhaps one of the ASAC members (Jim) could race with this in his (Jim) next race so that he (Jim) could comment to the CRB on it's effectiveness.

SubliminalMan.

jimwheeler
06-27-2008, 08:36 PM
I WANT ONE. Of course, you would have to replace it every two full season, based on the little tag with the date punched out.

Mark Allen
06-28-2008, 05:47 AM
Everyone has discussed over and over and over again how unfair it is for the runoffs to be in a location for a long period of time that of course favors the home region drivers and makes a ridiculously long drive for others many years in a row. There's no secret as to why CenDiv and NE div drivers did so well (overall) at Mid O. Two nationals per season plus 3 double regionals available to practice as well as a short drive really stacks the deck against Western US drivers (not that that really hurt the truly top guys but it sure affected the guys finishing 2-10 in those divisions).

I still don't see why they can't work with 4-5 top level permanent road courses country wide and rotate the Runoffs around so each track gets the event every 4-5 years or so. Contract them for 2 events each setting up a 10 year cycle.

An example would be Mid O, Road Atlanta, Laguna, Watkins Glen, Sebring. Pick some other tracks, could be cool.

Mark

jimwheeler
06-28-2008, 08:04 AM
I think that is pretty close to what SCCA has in mind. I wish they had started that when I was a much younger man.
wheel

KW78
06-28-2008, 01:12 PM
I think that is pretty close to what SCCA has in mind. I wish they had started that when I was a much younger man.
wheel

Well that wouldn't of done much good, none of the tracks were built then.... Paving, for example, was cobblestone... :laughing:

KW78
06-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Everyone has discussed over and over and over again how unfair it is for the runoffs to be in a location for a long period of time that of course favors the home region drivers and makes a ridiculously long drive for others many years in a row.

Contract them for 2 events each setting up a 10 year cycle.

An example would be Mid O, Road Atlanta, Laguna, Watkins Glen, Sebring. Pick some other tracks, could be cool.

Mark

This is precisely why Indy should have been/ should be a TOP PRIORITY for scca to land the event there. It has so many upsides for the club to be the anchor event, including that no one runs it in the season, unless your an FIA superbike rider or F1 driver (rumored to be back there) playing around in club racing... :clap:

SHORT of that strategy, I think the two year plan is a great idea, and while it would be cool to reach to VIR, Sebring, and Sears point, this idea could be executed by staying off the coasts a bit. Mid-O, Miller, Texas world, Chicago, yes Topeka, RA, etc... there are lots of good facilities with good racing to be had.

Write your local RE once a month.... :thumbsup:

Kyle

jimwheeler
06-28-2008, 01:39 PM
Well that wouldn't of done much good, none of the tracks were built then.... Paving, for example, was cobblestone... :laughing:

David Hobbs was talking about racing at Watkins Glen, in the early years, and about how tough it was to corner on cobblestones. Pretty funny.

KW78
06-28-2008, 02:04 PM
David Hobbs was talking about racing at Watkins Glen, in the early years, and about how tough it was to corner on cobblestones. Pretty funny.

Yeah I caught that. And in his "F1" car back in the day with 260 HP.

Man it would have been cool to race back then, except for the seatbelt phobia and fire hazard.... but still...

Could you imagine taking our current cars back in time then... Even Ted's ride would be competitive! ... :laughing: (just kidding, geez)

That gives me another idea for the runoffs.... Nurnberg ring, old course! :thumbsup: Oh Wait... JH has a record there too! :mad: Lucky Bastard!!!:bowdown:

Kyle