PDA

View Full Version : Mid Ohio Results

smithpr
06-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Wild race. We took the Green Flag at 10:30 and the checker at 1:00. Nothing like a 2:30 minute 19 lap race. Jason V had a huge crash at 12 with Ed Amenson's T-1. Ed spun right in front of Jason and Jason had no chance and t-boned him at about 80 MPH. Total mess. My crew guy said that Jason's rear end lifted straight up in the air. Right before this a gt-3 driver hit the inside of turn 7 super hard and was really hurt. I think he is going to be ok but a real hard hit.

As a result of all this and the fact at all the medical people were a little overwhelmed they decided to break for lunch. We could not touch our cars. We started racing again at 12:40. I was two cars behind Andy on the restart and Andy did not have radios so I got a nice jump on the field and pulled on the inside of Andy going down the front straight. M Grant's GT-2 then spun and I had no choice but to exit the track on drivers right and ended up in the gravel. I just kept the peddle down and let it hit the rev limiter and ended up backwards on the race track. I got lucky that I was not stuck in the gravel. I did a good old Nascar clutch dump and spun the thing around and got going. I was about 5 cars behind Rich Jones who was in second and we did a couple of full course yellows as they moved Grants car and then Rich and I had a great race. I got by him going into 7 on the last lap and was able to make the pass stick. Great clean racing with Rich, it was a blast. Nice to have a good finish at Mid Ohio. Last time I was there I destroyed a race car so it felt good to get a 2nd. I really didn't have anything for Andy or Jason. Andy is great at this place. Jason I hope your car is ok.

Andy set a new track record at 1:38.4. I ran 1:40.xx and Jason ran a 1:39.xx.

Rich was third. I could not figure out the rest of the A/S group because when we restarted after lunch the GT-1 had lapped a bunch of cars so there were only 3 AS cars on the lead and was not able to wait around for final results.

Philip

fairlane_68
06-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Ouch...sounds like an expensive weekend. I can't believe they red-flagged the race for lunch. Seems odd. Any word on the injured driver?

t4wallace
06-02-2008, 11:21 AM
I can't believe they red-flagged the race for lunch. Seems odd.
I applaud it. I've seen too many times where a race is forced for the sake of having it and worse things happen.

Thanks for the report Philip.

EDIT: Don't know if Jason tunes in here or not, but hope the car is better than it sounds.

jimwheeler
06-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Andy and Philip,
Congratulations. Phil, glad to see you back out there. The Sprints should be fun.
wheel

KW78
06-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Hmm... Jason's car sounds bad.

So the summer has started and still out here in the (racing) barren wasteland... I'm jelous as hell...

:auto: :auto: :auto: :auto: :auto:
:auto: :auto: :auto: :auto: :auto:

Best I could do... Didn't really help

Kyle

King Matt
06-02-2008, 03:18 PM
So the summer has started and still out here in the (racing) barren wasteland... I'm jelous as hell...
Tell me about it. My new car, which I was going to start over the longest winter in recorded Milwaukee history, is about 4 months behind schedule!

koscieldrk
06-02-2008, 03:55 PM
I assume that Jason was OK. Jason sorry to hear about your drive. If you need anything or if you need some help with the car let me know.

Dawson Motorsports
06-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Heard through the grape vine that Jasons ok, just a little sore. He ws going to drop the car off to see how bad it really is.
Also heard the GT-3 driver was unconcious after the incedent. He was air lifted out. That's all I've heard.

fairlane_68
06-02-2008, 05:37 PM
I applaud it. I've seen too many times where a race is forced for the sake of having it and worse things happen.

Thanks for the report Philip.

EDIT: Don't know if Jason tunes in here or not, but hope the car is better than it sounds.

Oh so they didn't just stop the race becasue folks were hungry...I understand if there was a big wreck and the workers needed to "put the wheels back on the wagon" before things got worse.

smithpr
06-02-2008, 06:55 PM
On the GT-3 driver. My wife and friends where right next to the fench as the guys were working on him. He was out for a while maybe 5 to 10 minutes. The workers said he was talking at the medical building. I do not think he was air lifted out because I never saw a chopper. The did take him to the hospital.

I would like an update. My wife was in tears as she watched the medical people work on him. They were watching the race on the inside berm of turn seven so the crash was right in front of them and they walked down and were right next to the crash.

Never a good thing for our sport when people get hurt.

fairlane_68
06-02-2008, 07:21 PM
No, but it happens. And when it does, there's always folks who are trained and prepared.

SedanMan
06-02-2008, 08:35 PM
No, but it happens. And when it does, there's always folks who are trained and prepared.But most of the time on "test days" there are no medical folks or ambulances at the track. At least that's the norm around here. Testing during the week prior to the Runoffs might be an exception as I can't remember if there were ambulances at the track that week.

jimwheeler
06-02-2008, 09:43 PM
The Midiv tracks always have an ambulance and some corner workers for Friday test days. The track pays the workers for their day.
wheel

koscieldrk
06-02-2008, 10:26 PM
I think that because of insurance reasons they can't let cars on the track unless there is some sort of emergency vehicle (ambulance) available. It would be a great risk for a track to have a track day, qualifying or race without one. I know at Waterford they won't even let a car on the track unless there is medicl support.

Smitty
06-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Man,

Sounds like a tough weekend guys... Jason, if you need anything.. let me know if I can help.

Medic's Rock.

Kristian Smith

Crewguy Dan
06-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi guys, I crew for John Mills, who had the big crash in the GT-3 Miata. He went into the wall between 7 and 8 driver's side first, and hit his head hard enough to crack the helmet. He was unconscious, but breathing with good vitals. Life Flight was too far out to get to the track in time, so they took him to Mansfield by ambulance, and redirected the helicopter there. Once he was stabilized at the hospital, they flew him to St. Vincent's in Toledo, where he'd be closer to home. He's been making a lot of good progress, as far as his speech, memory, etc. In just a couple days, he's gone from semi-comatose, to thinking that it's still 1984, to knowing who he is, where, and why. In fact, he wants to know if anyone's got any good video of the crash. Milton Grant, Jason V, and Ed Amenson were right behind him when it happened, but I saw that they had some pretty significant problems of their own.

ASGTO
06-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi guys, I crew for John Mills, who had the big crash in the GT-3 Miata. He went into the wall between 7 and 8 driver's side first, and hit his head hard enough to crack the helmet. He was unconscious, but breathing with good vitals. Life Flight was too far out to get to the track in time, so they took him to Mansfield by ambulance, and redirected the helicopter there. Once he was stabilized at the hospital, they flew him to St. Vincent's in Toledo, where he'd be closer to home. He's been making a lot of good progress, as far as his speech, memory, etc. In just a couple days, he's gone from semi-comatose, to thinking that it's still 1984, to knowing who he is, where, and why. In fact, he wants to know if anyone's got any good video of the crash. Milton Grant, Jason V, and Ed Amenson were right behind him when it happened, but I saw that they had some pretty significant problems of their own.

Dan,

I am glad that John survived the ordeal and is doing better. Keep us posted re: his progress.

Thanks,
Chris

smithpr
06-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the update. Glad that he is doing better. :clap: It was a super hard hit.

Keep us updated.

Philip

Crewguy Dan
06-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Got the car unloaded today, and got the body stripped off. Everything looks to be pretty repairable. I think Kathy was a little disappointed about that. John should probably be moving from the hospital to a rehab center tomorrow, and is out of the cervical collar, much to his relief. Kathy just told me tonight that the doctors had told her Sunday that he would never walk again. He's already proven them wrong. I think it's safe to say that he won't be making the June Sprints this year, but I wouldn't count him out for next year yet.

koscieldrk
06-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Dan,

That is really Good News! Glad to hear he is on his feet.

Crewguy Dan
06-06-2008, 07:36 PM
John was transferred out of St V's to a rehab center at St Luke's Hospital today. He's in room 232 and visiting hours are from 11:30 am to 8:30 pm, if anyone local wants to go see him. He also has a direct phone line at 419-893-6532. Just keep in mind that he did pound his head into a wall a few days ago, so he's still a little loopy from time to time.

Crewguy Dan
06-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Just got back from visiting John, and he's improved a lot just since Saturday. His balance seems a lot better, and his speech is almost 100% normal. Just about every time I post I say that he's gotten a lot better, but this time I really mean it. Kathy brought the dogs to visit him and we hung out in the yard in front of the hospital for a while. The dogs seemed happy to see him, but a lot happier to see some fortune cookies.

koscieldrk
06-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Dan,

Thanks for the updates, sounds like John is making a speedy recovery. Nothing like a dog to help pick up your spirits. Thanks again!

Crewguy Dan
06-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Good news! John gets out of the hospital tomorrow. It'll still be a while before he's back to 100%, but this is a big step.

Crewguy Dan
07-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Just a quick update. John's doing a lot better. He's back to work part-time, and also doing physical therapy daily. The docs are expecting a complete recovery, though he's still going to be little fuzzy for the next few months. Looks like we'll just be spectating at Topeka this year, but everything should be good to go for next season.