PDA

View Full Version : Race At Sebring

INGOLD07
02-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Anybody know what happened at sebring last weekend?

PRO SYSTEMS
02-26-2008, 12:00 PM
I am writing this in the first person as Walther likes it like that. :cheers:

Just razzing ya' Walther. I'll buy the beer. :thumbsup:

The Sebring race was crazy.

Saturdays SARRC race was held in some pretty good rain and it was Mitchell Geltz (who was running great in Qfying) in the lead with me (Patrick James) in second.

My car drove like a cadillac in the rain on A6 Hoosiers slicks (From my karting days..I love that rain). But I elected to follow Mitchell by 3-4 car lengths throughout that race. There was so much dicing going on with him and another car from another class (they were side by side for much of the shortened race) and the traffic coming through was so heavy that it was a safer move (I'm not fond of scratching my stuff). So I was his personal cameraman and just video taped it from my "in car" for posterity.

I wasn't running SARRC points so a risky 3 wide move was pointless for everyone. No one needs to join the multiple wrecks that occurred during that brief race that was stopped early as we began running out of competitors and the rain got heavy. I dodged a lot of guys that race.

On lap one in the first few turns, multiple cars flew off and came back on. They immediately battled to get back through us. That really added to the difficulty in running your own race and there was some pretty fast cars throwing mud and hitting walls.

An ASR car took a hard hit into the crossover bridge support wall and tires and parts were everywhere. Many other GTA, GT1 and SPO cars were off into the mud and there they stayed, or if they came back on, they brought a swamp with them and dropped fenders, alligators and body parts. Debris/oil flags were out for every lap.

At one point on lap 3, as rained poured through every crevice in the cars, Mitchell (on flat spotted slicks) was sideways pointing directly at the car he was battling as they turned into a corner. A Porsche that was behind me tried to use the same braking point as me for that corner. He had too much rear brake, he spun and was gaining on me fast, so I had to stop braking and start accelerating towards the corner (and Mitchells ongoing battle) in an effort keep the Porsche rear ending me.

Fortunately Mitchell got straightened up and his battle cleared out and continued down the next straightaway. So I got back on the brakes, widened the corner and got out of there as a GT1 car slammed into the spinning Porsche.

If we would've gone a couple laps before these fast cars flew off and then came back through us, it would've really made the race easier and safer. These fast closing cars with no traction, was like dodging bullets out there. But thats the hand we were dealt.

It was a deal. As it wrapped up with rain pouring down, the flag flew early and it was Mitchell Geltz first, me second in the SARRC Race.

Scott Seifreit who was the only smart one on rain tires, had gallantly worked his way up to third but was relegated back due to some "early flag rule" that disallows the last lap. Tough break Scott, you deserved that third place.

In the Regional race on Sunday (I'm chasing these points), I was on the pole and Bruce Reichard made a beautiful inside blocking move on me on the first lap as I was moving over for a GTA car. I was then surrounded by GTA and SPO cars. It was unbelievable. Apparently many of them ran slow or had problems in our Q-fying session so they were everywhere. So I almost had to pull off the track and stop to let them all by as we were almost four wide at one point (aah the life of a test driver/gentleman racer....preserve the car at all costs).

I never saw Reichard after the traffic cleared on the first lap so I just cruised and never ran a single hard lap only a few blasts to check some stuff out.

Bruce Reichard drove a great race on Sunday (I always enjoy racing him...he's a racer you can trust side by side in the corners...we had some fun in q-fying) and Bruce finished first and I finished second in the Regional race.

So I should still have the points lead and didn't wear out any parts AND I got some testing done.

Now if only Barnhills restaurant would re-open. I miss that friday night catfish, all I got was some crazy IHOP waitress hitting on me....but thats another story.

I won't forget my wedding ring next trip.

Thats it.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS

fairlane_68
02-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Where's the pics of the IHOP chick? Otherwise I call :bs: :thumbsup:

PRO SYSTEMS
02-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Ya' don't wanna see a pic of her or any vision that what was going on in her head.

Patrick James

jimwheeler
02-26-2008, 07:43 PM
I don't think anyone could stand to see her inner vision.

kbsmith1
02-27-2008, 12:20 AM
Patrick - Great narration. I really enjoyed reading, and the line about dropping fenders, alligators, and body parts was very vivid.

INGOLD07
02-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Patrick thank you for the update about sebring. hope to see u at next race there,owe you a cold beer for update.:cheers: :cheers:

PRO SYSTEMS
02-28-2008, 11:21 AM
And apparently Walther was right. Narrating the weekends stories was the way to go. And it didn't require the wife. So she's out of a job. : )

This past weekend was some pretty dicey racing, glad no one was hurt as we had a pretty good roll over at the start finish line as well as all the other carnage I wrote about.

It sure has been a tragic week in the hot rodding world.

We went through a few years in the early part of the "Street car" legal racing craze when rules were minimal and craziness was high. There were times we would lose a racer or two a month.

I do alot of laps in different cars. Having been upside down sliding down the race tracks, tearing cars in half and on lit on fire more than a couple times myself...its tragic when we lose people to the unfair foes ie: cancer etc...

So like we always say but never do: Appreciate your friends while you have them.

And I'll take that beer, but make mine a shot of Crown Royal...but only one as I'm a lightweight.

See you at the next race. :)

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS

Mitchell Geltz
02-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Patrick :eek: I think I made that face a few times last weekend can't remember if it was the rain or the women or maby my Dad racing . :confused:. It felt like that night or night's I would drive around a grass field in the rain or morning dew. Whiping 360's, huge power slides ,lock up slides and more, oh the 720's came out in a big field. From about 60 roll and pitch the ford explorer and hit the brakes you will be amazed. It did roll one time but we fliped it upright. Oh the good ol day's. I'm loaded and heading to Roebling in the morning. Let ya know how it go's.:cheers:

PRO SYSTEMS
02-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Good luck Mitchell, GO win that SARRC championship for our division will ya'

Robert Ingold, I know you're racing around on those street tires, I'm about to take off my old Hoosier R's and get another set for the season.

My old ones are yours if you want them (255/16) There's still a lot of tread left (no flat spots ever..very well taken care of) and they are amazingly consistent from lap to lap.

Just shoot me an e or call and I'll put them in the trailer for you. Even older Hoosiers will outbite a treaded tire.

But its your call.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS

INGOLD07
03-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Patrick thank you for the offer of your used tires will be happy to pick them up at your convinance live in pinellas park contact me at ingold07@yahoo.com
will pick up and need to talk about carbs for our short track program . hope to hear from u soon . and once again thank you.
:cheers:

PRO SYSTEMS
03-03-2008, 04:55 PM
I knew there was more to you guys than met the eye. You have mail.

Walther
03-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Scott Seifreit who was the only smart one on rain tires, had gallantly worked his way up to third but was relegated back due to some "early flag rule" that disallows the last lap. Tough break Scott, you deserved that third place.

I spoke with Scott tonight (as we often do) What a peculiar string of events the flags were. At a SARRC race no less? I can state with all degree of certainty that I would not have taken it as well as he did. From what I gathered, after the big wreck...and confusion by the flag man as to where to pick up the field..Scott restarted in a second pack of cars about two minutes behind the lead pack that included Mitchell and Patrick.

I was vacationing in California and couldn't make it to this one- but I will offer if any of you fellow car enthusiasts ever get the chance to drive up the PCH through Malibu and Big Sur..JUMP at it. WHAT A DRIVE!!!!!, except I did it in a rented Trail Blazer, but still WHAT A DRIVE!!!! What I would not have given for a sporty convertible.

I can't wait to mix it up with you guys. April Drivers school beckons. If they give me a pass on the second school due to previous experience...I'll be racing this summer.

Patrick? Your buying Beer?
Dats what I'm talking 'bout. :cheers:
I'll bring some of my famous SWAMP CHILI, That should coax you out of that "Taj Majal" trailer of yours!!! :D What is that thing? 80 feet?

Mark
CFR

PRO SYSTEMS
03-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Yea, that was a deal for sure. My crew chief was calling out that the groups got separated and the pace car picked up the wrong car. So their group was 2 minutes behind at one point.

The pace car then dropped the second group and picked up the correct group and almost stopped us several times to allow the second group to close up.

But when the second group closed the gap to like a minute and a half they threw the restart flag. So my crew chief said over the radio "just cruise" as there was no way the second group was going to make it in the few laps that were left.

Yes I'll buy the rounds after you complete your final race on Sunday and the Taj has the A/C screaming too. Come on over, you're always welcome.

Us guys swap/loan parts and tools regularly so you're welcome to those too, cuz you'll be shaking new car bugs out. Everyone does on the first race weekend

Good luck at school and I'll take some Swamp Chili to go with the beverages of choice for sure.

When you put the word Swamp in anything it just sounds delicious. :D

Patrick James

Walther
03-04-2008, 10:20 AM
As stated..He (Scott) took it a lot better than I would have. The whole thing sounds like a cluster:censored: to me. Personally, I think they should have made that right. But....

Sean #40
03-06-2008, 11:17 PM
I was at Sebring racing for the first time in AS with my recently purchased Camaro z28 it was fun on the hoosier r6 i won my first race there in the wet on the old hoosier and they are good. My big problem was the windshield misted so bad on the last lap i almost had to stop, i am developing the car at the moment and the misting problem will be fixed.
I did not meet all the other guys but may do some day Oh! and i was passed under a full course caution :nono:
Sean.

PRO SYSTEMS
03-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Yea, Sean, there are a few "white knuckle" drivers that race at Sebring (but actually not many) that race looking 5 feet ahead of their car and never see the yellow flags. They just go flying by thinking we're still racing.

The flag guys just shake their heads and they get a scolding.

In the rain race, on the last lap, I was running up the main straight, ripping on the car a bit, just checking some stuff out and Mother Nature INSTANTLY fogged the windshield at well over 120 mph approaching turn 1 (despite heavy Rain-X inside and out).

Fortunately on my car I can reach my windshield with my glove, so that helped a bit.

But have a blower and/or a rag on a stick ready just in case.

It is Florida...it can rain at any time.

Hope to see you out there.

Patrick James

Sean #40
03-09-2008, 01:55 AM
Now heres a funny thing at the HSR December last year the Anglo American challenge (Brit vs US cars) the nascars did not want to race the day before in the wet so they went out late afternoon then we had to run at dusk.
Bearing in mind my E type jag has pictures for head lights as a lot of us do, by the time they cleared up the debris we went out in poor light that turned to darkness rapidly on the last lap after passing cars driving off the track left right and center i came up to sunset soon to be sunrise bend 17 at 5800 rpm in 5th (about 150 in my jag) figured out my braking point by shaddows on the bridge passed two cars on the inside to grab second anglo car home.
When interviewd on the podium after the other two said it was the most crazy race they had ever run i suggested they should have sent us out to race in the rain instead.