PDA

View Full Version : Miller - Hours of track time

KW78
02-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Guys,

I've posted before for this event, but did not get anyone to come out!

Miller is an awesome 4.1 mile track, 24 turn challenge, with F1 level paddock, facilities and garages --- available to the club racer a couple times a year.

Memorial day weekend is the SCCA RMDIV Double National. Test day is scheduled to be available as well.

2 Weeks prior is a NASA double, and a Saturday 2 hour enduro, with a test day afternoon available.

The track time opportunity for 1 trek is huge. Plane tix out of and back to salt lake on Southwest is damn cheap, too.

By rough calculations, 9 hours of competitive driving between the two events. And, the track is very easy on the car. Tire wear is slow and smooth, brake zones are about like Mid-O, and the track in general is a bunch of wide high speed sweepers with excellent runoff (No walls, or very few and far away).

Many well subscribed classes are starting to veiw this as a developing June sprints in the west. The racing is great on multiple lines, and the SM class for example raves about it.

Food for thought,
Kyle

kbsmith1
02-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Kyle - Last year your invite was very tempting. It's only about a 12 hr drive from Portland, all interstate, I've done the drive bunches of times for skiing, many overnight in order to ski the next morning :).

I have heard from many others about what a great track it is, and I want to run it badly. Doubt if I'll make it this year, I feel like I'll be lucky to get my Gen 4 fbird completed in time for much national racing this year, but who knows.

What's weather like there at end of May?

This tace goes up against the double national NW region puts on at Seattle/Pacific Raceway/Kent. However, weather at that event is a crap shoot, with a pretty high likelihood of rain, a lot like '07 ROs where you can't figure out which tires to run.

PNM52
02-23-2008, 10:24 PM
Kyle How far is Miller from Topeka?

KW78
02-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Topeka to Denver to Cheyenne to Salt Lake, mapquest says is 15 hours and 1065 miles.

I would think it would be a bit faster to drive north to I-80 sooner, you can at least maintain a reasonable speed. Isn't the closest point for them somewhere in Kansas?

kbsmith1
02-25-2008, 04:51 PM
My parents live in Tulsa so we have driven Portland to Tulsa a bunch over the years. Because there really isn't a good interstate connection between 70 & 80 except I25 between Denver & Cheyenne we have always found it fastest to cut down to 70 from 80 using I25.

Don't know what tow speed is, but if it's really 1065 miles, I think overall driving time is closer to 19 hrs, counting gas stops. That's figuring a stop every 300 or so miles, and towing between 60 & 70. It'd be a FULL day's tow :) .

jimwheeler
02-25-2008, 05:05 PM
When my parents were alive, they lived in Cheyenne. Although there were some fun back roads between I 70 and I 80, the best way was always K.C. to Denver to Cheyenne.
That's a long tow to Utah from here.
wheel

KW78
02-25-2008, 05:36 PM
I think Mapquest figures traveling at the speed limit. I played around with the options, ie shortest route, fastest route, etc... and the time went way high because of the speed limits, even though I shaved 45 miles off of the route.

How is 83 between I-70 and I-80? It looks like a straight 65mph road. It seems if you can avoid the Kansas speed limit that would be good.

It seems like you get stopped at 74 or faster in Kansas. Nebraska seems like 84. Wyo seems like 94 :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously, if you can pick up 10MPH average, from 60 to 70 (including stops), it saves 2.5 hrs at the end of a long day for that trip. You can average 70 if you drive 78 or 79, and it has been my experience that you don't get stopped at that speed, except in KS and Illinois...

kbsmith1
02-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Agree. But fastest I can tow racecar with MH is between 65 and 75. 70 is generally pretty comfortable, but long uphills (which all of I80 in Wyoming going west pretty much qualifies as) limit is about 65. "Steep" interstate climbs are max of 45, but I80 is pretty good about not having much of that.