PDA

View Full Version : Lap at HPT-Tom Ellis Pass

smithpr
09-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Guys:

I spent most of the day getting this to down load. I love computers. Here is most of one lap. It is also the lap that Tom went on a little off road adventure.:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFnl6rB19mQ

Philip

socalta
09-22-2007, 10:10 PM
nice video ... nice sounding ride....

smithpr
09-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Jorge:

Could you watch the entire lap? When I down load it the video stops at .56 sec.

Philip

socalta
09-22-2007, 10:26 PM
yup ...I got the full 1:36.. ends with you crossing the S/F line

Philip.... it does "flicker" at 56 seconds . but thats very very brief....

koscieldrk
09-22-2007, 11:27 PM
Phil! worked OK for me also, just a slight flicker like Jorge said.

PRO SYSTEMS
09-23-2007, 09:45 AM
Wow Phil, you are flying and was driving a much nicer line than Ellis (was he just "fresh out" and learning the track?).

I see you kind of throttling him (phil harper power) a couple times waiting for a place to pass. So his "off course" cleared the track for you for a good lap.

Good luck this year.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS

jd17
09-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Wow Phil, you are flying and was driving a much nicer line than Ellis (was he just "fresh out" and learning the track?).

I see you kind of throttling him (phil harper power) a couple times waiting for a place to pass. So his "off course" cleared the track for you for a good lap.

Good luck this year.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS

I saw another video on here that showed me a peculiar line at Sebring that I didn't think anyone would/could run. At least Tom is not damaging someones car by his line unlike the Sebring video where the guy driving there totally blew his line and ran over a white camaro ( and then blamed the camaro for messing up his car ) because of it. But this is just my opinion.

PRO SYSTEMS
09-23-2007, 03:52 PM
wow, just like my wife said...that post would get misinterpreted.

OK let me rephrase for you since you have a negative view of things (remember voice tone does not come across on e mail).

Our Southeast Divisional Champion Tom Ellis is driving a different line than I would expect. My post was inquiring that possibly this video is of some of his first laps on the track (is it qfying or what?).

But regarding your personal attack on me: One thing I do know is the next time I am on the track, after I make an error I will still continue driving in a straight predictable line. Its dangerous for someone to dive left or right after correcting a car in the hopes that its clear on both sides of you in order to make an opening for a closing vehicle. A move like that usually just causes a wreck.

ALSO plenty of time passed between the correction and the HIT so there was time for him to take (and I very much left open) the PREFERRED OUTSIDE line (which is to 2 car widths to the right).

Tom chose to banzai the left inside line at a very fast closing speed. BUT in order for his idea to work he would have to assume that I would make a dangerous dive to the right when I saw him coming. Thats not a good assumption to make for any racecar driver.

What he was not aware of was that I only saw him at the last second as he was going much faster than me and struck me FIRST very HARD (about 1 foot into my back bumper and then pushed in my rear quarter. This violently flung my car sideways as his front end traveled the length of my car and caved in my door and finally front fender. All with the nose of his car (not down he side of his car).

"WHEN I GET HIT THAT HARD FROM THE BACK (not in the side) AND I AM DRIVING ARROW STRAIGHT, THAT IS NOT AN ERROR ON MY PART."

Plenty of time passed between the steering correction and the concious decision made by the closing driver to decide to banzai the inside line.

This line I am driving is low, unpreferred and a safe haven (I thought) for the corner as no one drives there. With that kind of speed, Tom would have been better off going to the outside of me (there are 2-3 car widths to the right of me) he could've easily completed the pass with a great charge down the next straight. The guys I regularly race with would have done just that.

Going up through the grass was a choice he made, he's a talented driver, but sometimes folks in the heat of battle choose the wrong line. Thats what happened, all I wanted was an apology and I found out that he would've given me one but he was made sick by the heat and went home.

Toms a good guy, a talented racer and NO ONE is perfect, he is forgiven.

That previous post was not an attack on Tom, its actually a little in defense of him. HPT is new to everyone this year.

Thanks.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS

smithpr
09-23-2007, 04:03 PM
Guys:

I think that Tom had a fair amount of time at the new track. I think part of the problem was that I was in his mirror a bunch and I know when I have someone behind me pushing real hard my line is a little less the perfect.

I try to drive a very consistent line and hit my marks every lap, no matter what.

Tom and I had a blast racing side by side and he gave me plenty of room and never cut me off. :cheers: It was super clean racing and it seems to me he has pretty good cockpit awareness.

Philip

KW78
09-23-2007, 04:22 PM
What was Philip driving?

It was something that could out pull a ford just from a push off the corner, then toodle around looking for a brake zone... :bowdown:

It like the drag racing days.... We'd work our but off to get a big block car into the low 12's, and then some top fuel guy would spin before the 60 ft mark and coast down thru the lights in the frigin' 9's :eek:

Did you see when Philip pointed up the front straight, and grabbed a few gears... The sky got pale and the blue got a tinge of red... Einstein explains this as the dopler effect for light from extreme acceleration and speeds.... :clap: :clap:

Nice ride tho, definately. :cheers:

Kyle

jimwheeler
09-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Kyle,
Breath deep, then give it a rest.
wheel

Also, Patrick,
I forgot it was you to whom he was referring. Probably should have let that one go, too.

I raced a bunch of laps with Tom at this race, after Philip got by. His line was, actually, a very good defensive line while Phil was behind him. I was a car length, or two behind Phil. Tom doesn't have .01 of the laps that Phil and I have at Topeka. The pass was on the 2nd or 3rd race lap.

KW78
09-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Kyle,
Breath deep, then give it a rest.
wheel

I was taking a breath because racing is exciting.... :D and watching that in-car sucked me back in my office chair. :eek:

And even though the red mustang had to be wildly overdriven to attempt to keep up with the blue one at 8 tenths, I'm not daunted. My poor old tired orange car looks forward to running out there again...:cool:

smithpr
09-23-2007, 04:52 PM
Kyle:

No matter how much more speed I carried into and through the corner I could never get by Tom at the end of the straight.

I lifted into 8 to try to get a run on him into 10 because I would almost hit him in the previous laps at the apex of 9.

All I can say is that I wish I had a Ford. The current rules put the GM at a huge disadvantage to the Fords. We are working on trying to fix that.

Philip

KW78
09-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Philip, and Wheel,

Just some sunday Banter :cheers: I figured my Einstein reference would clue you in on that!

Kyle:

All I can say is that I wish I had a Ford. The current rules put the GM at a huge disadvantage to the Fords. We are working on trying to fix that.

Philip

But, if you are throwing statements out there, can't let this one slide. "Huge Disadvantage" is wildy sensationalized, and maybe even "slight disadvantage" we are finding out seems questionable....

Now, have to go find out if KC lost and denver is winning!

Kyle

racer14
09-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Are you guys tired of beating the dead horse yet? Please talk to the ASAC, and quit bitchin' on here.....

SedanMan
09-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Are you guys tired of beating the dead horse yet? Please talk to the ASAC, and quit bitchin' on here.....Actually, both of them are ON the ASAC. Kids.... :)

Reminds me of the saying "All men are created equal....just that some men are more equal than others."

"All AS cars are equal....just that Ford engines are more equal than GM engines."

Sorry Kyle. :cheers:

PRO SYSTEMS
09-23-2007, 07:47 PM
You're right I probably should have let that one go, but on the internet folks forget that its a real person they are talking to. Many times they don't know the guy on the other end and feel they may never meet them and that its open season.

I may have saturday open (it depends on a team schedule for testing) for the Daytona race that Mr. Haynes is entered in and I'll go introduce myself to him.

Just so we are clear, the emotion attached to this section of the e mail is one of anticipation of a positive meeting.

As far as Toms line around the track, at the first corner on the video, he was running up high on a loooooong left hander assembling a late apex. I just didn't think that he knew how long the corner was or maybe his car was pushing as that looks like a long distance to travel up high for a late apex (but he was in the lead).

Then later just as the course turned to fresh black top he was down low (early apex) and Phil was making a good looking late apex. So it looked of uncertainty of the track layout to me, I just didn't know...so I simply inquired about when this video was taped.

Once again: Just so we are clear, everything stated here was intended to be said in a positive upbeat tone for all parties involved.

Even my wife says, I really have to stop posting here, as I type just like I talk and you can't hear my tone of voice.

But if you've ever met me, assume first of all that its a positive one as I am an upbeat guy.

OK, outta here.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS

jd17
09-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Now Patrick , you were the one that burst onto the forum and immediately started bashing someone I like and I also agreed with what he had suggested and you were bashing him for it. And then accused another person I like of messing up your car when the tape shows you drive straight across the proper line to the corner. Anyone that has run Sebring any amount of time knows the right line through the carousel and you drove straight across it when you came off the curb. And what smells the most is this B.S. about $1500 to fix that fox body, any decent guy can walk out of a boneyard with a fender and door for less than $50. Now when you come over Saturday bring one of those carbs your hawking, I want to see what’s been done to it, I have to wonder if there are some issues with the rule book. There’s not a whole lot that can be done with our carbs that a guy with the ability to understand the rules couldn’t do himself. Holleys can pretty much be run right out of the box, you can line the holes up but other than jets, floats, and a few other minor things that’s about all your allowed to do. Your not suppose to port them. But I’m just sayin……… you know……….. with a positive attitude.

PRO SYSTEMS
09-24-2007, 09:34 PM
I got some e mails that told me to let this guy go and he'll go away.

Its OK that we disagree on what happened, but I really hate being called a liar.

Thats one thing I am not.

The Johnson Collision Center bill was $860.00 (Yes I can fax him a copy).

The rear end broke a worm gear and apparently thats not available separately so we had to buy a new posi (yeesh). Thats was $500.00

The rear tire sidewall was cut pretty deep from the hit so we replaced that and that was $225.

Total was $1585.00 (I didn't even include the price for the decals for the door and upper fender as I had extras)

I will say though, all the attention was good for business (a lot of you guys own street cars too I see) and I appreciate the phone calls too.

I did send my phone number to Mr. Haynes in a PM to call me so we can settle this in a mature fashion but he has yet to call.

Thanks everyone.

Patrick James
PRO SYSTEMS

smithpr
09-24-2007, 10:30 PM
How did my poor little thread trying to give the A/S group a little entertainment before the Runoffs get hijacked to discuss a crash that happened a couple of months ago?

Car to car contact sucks. We race for nothing but fun and pride. We should never hit each others car. It happens and that is no fun. :(

Philip

socalta
09-24-2007, 10:42 PM
man o man .. no kidding Philip
damn good video it was

smithpr
09-24-2007, 10:57 PM
All this video watching got me thinking. I went back and just watched my first Runoffs race. 2003 Mid Ohio. I could barely stand it. When I first started watching I thought that there must be a full course yellow because I was not going very fast. OMG I was racing under green. Boy did I suck. Next I can't believe how many mistakes. I am amazed I was able to get more then one race on the drive train I abused it so much. My shifting was a random number function. Every lap was a new adventure with which gear to be in. Sometime I would up shift other times no. No reason. The only thing I did with any consistancy was to wheel hope the car on down shifts. NICE:eek: Makes for some horrible sounds.

Lastly, the car sucked. That thing was so lose and slow. But the good news was it would not turn either. I am amazed that I could drive the thing at all.

I could not have been less aggressive. If I was racing today I would have picked up 10 spots on the start and about three spots a lap.

Philip

Mitchell Geltz
09-25-2007, 01:20 AM
I just want to say after reading all of that, I'm ready for Daytona this weekend and looking forward to some good racing "and maby some good drafting". Catch me if you can !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cheers: Mitchell Geltz

Dawson Motorsports
09-25-2007, 09:16 AM
Ok, enough is enough. This site is not for bashing other drivers. If you feel you must, take it somewhere else.
In all my years of driving, and I 'm sure for some of the others, shit happens.
Your fault, my fault, it doesn't matter.
So let's drop it NOW!
Chuck

t4wallace
09-25-2007, 09:19 AM
I did send my phone number to Mr. Haynes in a PM to call me so we can settle this in a mature fashion but he has yet to call.
Something that should have been the first thing you did, without ever announcing it on the site. Let it go. And if the call isn't returned, we do NOT need an update.

JD -- Call him back. PLEASE.

There is not one person participating here that hasn't (at some point in their racing) totally blown an apex :eek:, missed a shift:censored: , pinched someone :p (intentionally or otherwise), lost someone in the mirrors :confused: , had their talent let go in the middle of a turn :eek: , or got caught off guard when being lapped by an impatient GT1 :mad: (I've been on both ends of that one). If none of that hasn't happened to you, it will. Or you're lying. Or, you should be sending Ganassi, Flying Lizard or Pratt and Miller a copy of your resume.:bowdown:

Thanks for posting the vid Philip. I enjoyed it since I'm not sure I would post an in-car vid here. Well, it couldn't be any worse than what I hear from Brian...

EDIT: I could've just said: "What Chuck said."

jkopp
09-25-2007, 10:02 AM
Ok, enough is enough. This site is not for bashing other drivers. If you feel you must, take it somewhere else.
In all my years of driving, and I 'm sure for some of the others, shit happens.
Your fault, my fault, it doesn't matter.
So let's drop it NOW!
Chuck

I think enough of us agree that it's time to admit this thread has run it's course. Thanks for posting the link Philip!